+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

lost pr card - please help urgently

cit_izen

Star Member
Feb 21, 2014
I have lost my pr card. My concern is that my test date could be round the corner since I applied for citizenship in June 2011.

Does anyone know if having the pr card for giving the test and oath is a must? Please please advise :eek:

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
They will check your PR card during the interview. And you will be asked to give it up before the oath ceremony. I think you need it....

swindsor2010

Feb 9, 2014
pretty standard process here...

Yes, PR card it is one of the most important documents they will want to see the original. If I were you I would apply for a new PR card immediately. Keep all the records of this application. In case they call you for interview and you have not yet received your new PR card at least you can show them proof that you have been proactive to resolve this issue. Good luck.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
It is not required to have a PR card in order to become a citizen. CIC is supposed to accept COPR as proof of PR status. But having said that, if you sent copies of your PR card with your original application, they are probably going to want to see the original docs at your interview. You should probably get on with getting a replacement.

If you are called for the interview before you get it, what can you do other than explain the situation and show that you have applied for a new one.

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
cit_izen said:
I have lost my pr card. My concern is that my test date could be round the corner since I applied for citizenship in June 2011.

Does anyone know if having the pr card for giving the test and oath is a must? Please please advise :eek:
First of, from cic.gc.ca: "If you do not plan to leave Canada, you do not need the card." That infers that a PR does not necessarily have to have a PR card. That is to say as for your PR status you're good, if you otherwise did not jeopardize your PR status. I understand that your case is different that you had a card which you lost. Now, the proof that you are a landed immigrant is based on your landing paper / CoPR, as long as you don't try to enter Canada from outside. However, if you possess a PR card, CIC will take it back on the day of oath.
Now, since you have lost it, you may want it, if you mean to travel. It also pays to be honest with CIC by saying that you did have a card which you lost. So, if I were you, I would do the next steps in replacing the lost card. You would want to visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=47&t=10.
Good luck.

waitingforaction

Feb 21, 2014
keesio said:
They will check your PR card during the interview. And you will be asked to give it up before the oath ceremony. I think you need it....

What about the confirmation of residence card which I lost and do have a copy of it?

and I have my original PR card!

I have an interview/test in two weeks, do you think I should apply for a replacement o f the confirmation of residence paper though I do have a copy of it?

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
waitingforaction said:
What about the confirmation of residence card which I lost and do have a copy of it?

and I have my original PR card!

I have an interview/test in two weeks, do you think I should apply for a replacement o f the confirmation of residence paper though I do have a copy of it?
Yes!

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/lost-pr-card-and-have-my-citizen-ship-exam-in-2-days-t188430.0.html