Lost PR and willing to go back to Canada

CND3A

Oct 5, 2010
Earth
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi to all,

I lost my PR Statue, My PR card expired in 2017 when I'm out of Canada after taking a decision to stay in my home country for personal reasons (I didn't meet the residency obligations).

I changed my mind and I want to go back to Canada.
  • What are the options other than coming back through the US?
  • Should I renounce to the PR before starting an immigration procedure from scratch ?
  • What are the procedures to renounce to a PR ?
  • How many time the renouncing process takes ?
  • Is the renouncing can affect my new immigration demand ?
Thank you in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi to all,

I lost my PR Statue, My PR card expired in 2017 when I'm out of Canada after taking a decision to stay in my home country for personal reasons (I didn't meet the residency obligations).

• Should I renounce to the PR before starting an immigration procedure from scratch ?
Thank you in advance
Based on your post, it sounds like you are still a PR.

Yes, you can try entering Canada from the U.S. In order to do this, you will need to enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle. If you are not reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement, then you can live in Canada for 2 years straight and can then successfully renew your PR card. If you are reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement, you will need to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. Unless you have very strong H&C reasons for having been outside of Canada, chances are high that your PR status will be officially revoked and you will then have to leave.

If you have very strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement, you could also try applying for a PR Trave Document from outside of Canada under H&C. If approved, this would allow you to fly to Canada directly and keep your PR status.

You could also renounce your PR status and apply again from scratch. That is another option.

Reactions: CND3A

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OP can in fact try re-entering from the U.S. or try applying for a PRTD. Renouncing isn't the only option. It may be the most realistic option, but i't not the only one.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
OP can in fact try re-entering from the U.S. or try applying for a PRTD. Renouncing isn't the only option. It may be the most realistic option, but i't not the only one.
Agreed, but I figured with current travel exemptions that wouldn't be an option.

CND3A

Oct 5, 2010
Earth
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

CND3A

Oct 5, 2010
Earth
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based on your post, it sounds like you are still a PR.

Yes, you can try entering Canada from the U.S. In order to do this, you will need to enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle. If you are not reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement, then you can live in Canada for 2 years straight and can then successfully renew your PR card. If you are reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement, you will need to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. Unless you have very strong H&C reasons for having been outside of Canada, chances are high that your PR status will be officially revoked and you will then have to leave.

If you have very strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement, you could also try applying for a PR Trave Document from outside of Canada under H&C. If approved, this would allow you to fly to Canada directly and keep your PR status.

You could also renounce your PR status and apply again from scratch. That is another option.
Thank you scylla for your response, I think that reentry through the US borders is risky especially in the actual pandemic circumstances. I mean the risk of being reported is high and that will be a time consuming process

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you scylla for your response, I think that reentry through the US borders is risky especially in the actual pandemic circumstances. I mean the risk of being reported is high and that will be a time consuming process
What is your only option other than applying for PRTD based on a H&C. IF you want certainty before you uproot your life you will know whether you can keep your PR status or not if you apply via PRTD based on a H&C from your home country. You should be aware that you can only sponsor a spouse or child if you meet your RO. If you got married or had a child you could be looking at being separated for many years.

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
Hi to all,

Thank you in advance
You can try first applying for a travel document back to Canada in lieu of your PR card. Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html#outsidecanada
Click on: If you’re already outside Canada without a valid PR card
Once or if you receive a refusal due to non fulfillment of residency obligation, you can try to make an appeal via the Immigration Appeal Division of the IRB.

However, do note that it is a stringent process to appeal. There has to be some valid humanitarian reason why they will consider your appeal.