+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost permanent residents card

MichaelB

Jan 16, 2020
I lost my PR card today but I am hesitant to apply for a replacement because I am worried it will expose the fact that I haven’t met residency obligations and may cause me to lose my residency status. Kindly advise.

I landed in August 2016 and finally moved to Canada December 2019. My card expires in September 2021. There is no way I can meet the requirement for residency obligation because at the time of my card expiry I would have spent just 665 days in Canada, which is less that the 730 days requirement. Also, because I have not been in Canada I haven’t paid any taxes. Please I need urgent advice. I am supposed to travel outside Canada next month and will need the card. I have reported the loss to the police and they advised I contact the IRCC immediately. I am confused right now.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Reactions: newcommer2018

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I lost my PR card today but I am hesitant to apply for a replacement because I am worried it will expose the fact that I haven’t met residency obligations and may cause me to lose my residency status. Kindly advise.

I landed in August 2016 and finally moved to Canada December 2019. My card expires in September 2021. There is no way I can meet the requirement for residency obligation because at the time of my card expiry I would have spent just 665 days in Canada, which is less that the 730 days requirement. Also, because I have not been in Canada I haven’t paid any taxes. Please I need urgent advice. I am supposed to travel outside Canada next month and will need the card. I have reported the loss to the police and they advised I contact the IRCC immediately. I am confused right now.

You cannot renew your card at this time since you don't meet the residency obligation.

If you decide to leave Canada next month, when you return, you will not be able to fly to a Canadian airport directly. You will need to fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border.

If at all possible, you should avoid travel outside of Canada until you meet RO.

newcommer2018

Oct 18, 2018

Hi Michael,

What did you finally do? I'm in almost similar situation as yours. Your response would help a big deal.

Regards.