+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost passport

sarahbk86

May 8, 2012
My luck has been terrible of late. My visa runs out in mid June and I am hoping to apply for PR. Unfortunately, I have lost my current passport. What should I do?

sammy_2401

Star Member
Jan 18, 2014
If you apply for PR with a brand new passport, CIC will send you a brand new questionnaire of residency requirement, irrespective of your ties with the current employer or educational institute. Be prepared, or try to find the lost passport. Hope you will turn out to be lucky finding your lost passport.

Adnan34

Star Member
Apr 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you further elaborate "visa runs out" & apply for PR

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarahbk86 said:
My luck has been terrible of late. My visa runs out in mid June and I am hoping to apply for PR. Unfortunately, I have lost my current passport. What should I do?
1. Report the loss to the police.

2. Use/submit the police report to apply for a new passport - best to check what your country's consulate in Canada requires. You may need a notarized declaration of loss. Also expect to pay a hefty fee for a 'lost passport' replacement - most countries charge a premium for this to minimize carelessness or intentional/accidental loss and even sale/lending etc of passports.

3. make sure you keep a copy of the police report for use in future dealings with CIC.

4. apply for an extension of status with new passport...if it hasn't arrived then include a cover letter with above police report and proof of new passport application such as payment receipt. However you go apply before the current visa expires - check CIC to see how early you can apply.

5. ditto for PR application

good luck