+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LOST PASSPORT AND VISA

Welshmum

Nov 29, 2014
Hello. My daughter arrived in Canada on 17th November. She has a work permit that was issued on arrival and a job that starts on 1st Dec. She has since lost her passport and visa (that was stuck in her passport). She has had a mixture of advice from various (very helpful) people and none seem to agree. Her employer says that she can apply for a replacement work permit and then she will be able to get her SIN. However, other people seem to think that she will need her new passport before she can do that.

This will take up to 10 weeks, which she can't afford to do. Does anyone know whether she can apply for a replacement work permit (which may take just 2-3 weeks as I believe she can say it's urgent) before her new passport is issued and then transfer the work permit to her new passport number ?

Thank you for any advice :)

danny4u2013

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
Victoria, BC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
18-08-2013
i know they will issue the work permit again, not a big deal but she has to produce copy of her pp(all pages) , i think that should work but not 100% guranteed bcoz cic makes decision case by case.

that said, i think indian pp can be reissued in about 1 week under emergency, you have to tell the embassy, they also have a document which is like a temporary pp and it can be used until you get real pp.

Welshmum

Nov 29, 2014
Thanks Dani for your reply. This has been very stressful. I can't seem to get any definitive advice from anyone in Canada. She does have a photocopy of her passport but only the two relevant pages - with details and photo. Some people have told us that she would need a new passport first before she can apply for a new work permit and other people have said that is not true - that she can apply for a replacement work permit before the passport. It is very urgent because she does have a job that starts on 1st Dec but doesn't have a SIN yet obviously so cannot start until then. She is from the UK by the way - I see you are based in India (am I right?) so not sure if it is different for Indian citizens. She has already been to the British Consulate (Embassy?) who were not particularly helpful although they have offered to sign her photocopy as verification that it is her - which I hope will then serve as proof of identity. I think we can request a replacement of work permit as a matter of urgency as her job puts it under that category. It just would be nice to know whether she can apply for a replacement without her passport. She did ask about an emergency passport but that didn't seem to be the answer as she was told that she would only get a travel document so that she could go home (UK) to then sort out a new passport and re-enter Canada (which apart form the extra cost is not ideal). Sorry to ramble - thanks for your advice and would be grateful if you have any more.

danny4u2013

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
Victoria, BC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
18-08-2013
here is cic Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100 (can only be called from within canada, mon through fri), ask your daughter to call them, they can answer all the questions and tell you what exactly to do in your case.