+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Application

stillwaiting

Jul 3, 2007
Hi, My sponsor - Canadian Citizen ( my spouse) has filed an immigration packet for me and our daughters to immigrate from the U.S. to Canada. The application indicated that if the client is living outside of canada to apply at the Buffalo office and if inside of Canada to apply at the Mississuaga office. We sent our application to the Buffalo office, only to find out they said they never recieved it. It was sent fedex ( so it was received). Additionally, Buffalo sent us to the Mississugua office because it is a "family" application. they are now telling us we have to "reapply" with all documentations we provided the first time. That the Buffalo office may have "trashed" the application, because they felt it should have gone to the Canada office... This seems a bit extreme, has anyone had this experience or any advise on how to move forward in getting the original application back and to the right location ..

Thanks..

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Hi,

READ THIS CAREFULLY

What happened to you is just one of the reasons why no one should send actual original documents but certified /notarized copies of documents to third parties including immigration offices*. So, you should not have lost anything of significant value except for the time that you all had put in.

Well, you still have time; and rather than still waiting, you should go ahead and redo the process, this time you should follow the steps that I have numbered below.

This was your mistake: From what you wrote, it appears that you guys only did one application, and that is your wife’s spousal application, and you did not do the additional application for Permanent Residence /PR for both you and your daughter.

And yes, it is not just for immigration offices, but even for job applications, if applicants do not do the application procedures the correct way, they trash whatever you did, and will not contact you. They do have that right, there is nothing you can do about it.

In other words, you should send in TWO application kits together at the same time to the same office and that is the Mississauga Case Processing Center (CPC) in Ontario CIC. So,

1. Your wife should redo her spousal application kit.

2. You do the Permanent Residence Application Kit for both you and your daughter since you have to sign the original application – DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE SIGN FOR YOU – IF you do, it will “hunt” you later on in the process.

3. You should then send your Permanent Residence application kit to your wife – it’s best you overnight by FedEx to your wife also – Better Safe than Sorry again.

4. Then your wife sends in both her spousal application and your PR application by FedEx overnight delivery to the Mississauga CPC in Ontario.

5. And, you all exercise some more patience and wait for the Mississauga Office’s decision, and take it from there.

NOTE THAT that the Mississauga CPC will make a decision on your wife's spousal application; after they approve your wife's application, then they will forward your PR application to the appropriate Canadian Visa Office that will handle and process your PR application.

You can always verify the above steps by carefully rereading the following from the CIC website to which I have made some notations/highlights for you:

How does a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children get permanent resident status?

The application process involves two steps:
1. If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you must apply to sponsor them. (Your wife should do this)

2. Your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children must then apply for permanent residence. (You should do this since you have to sign the original application and and mail to your wife)

If you are sponsoring your spouse or partner, and your dependent children as a group, all of their applications for permanent residence must be filled out at the same time to be mailed together. (This means that BOTH your wife’s spousal application AND your Permanent Residence Application should be OVERNIGHTED BY FEDEX all AT ONE TIME and TO THE SAME OFFICE in MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO – as you already know)

The applications for both sponsorship and permanent residence should be filled out and sent at the same time. There are two steps to process the application forms:

1. The sponsorship application is processed by the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Mississauga, Ontario (for family members living outside Canada), or the CPC in Vegreville, Alberta (for family members living inside Canada);

2. If you are approved as a sponsor, the permanent residence application is sent to the appropriate Canadian visa office. (This means that if your wife’s spousal application is approved by the Mississauga CPC, then that office will forward your Permanent Residence Application to the appropriate Canadian Visa office that would be processing your Permanent Residence Application).

Cited from: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

* The only time one sends by mail an original document for the Canada immigration process is at the final stage when they request for your passport for the Visa stamping, and some of us do take that risk as we have no choice. And it is always best to continue using FedEx /overnight delivery.

Good Luck! And a Happy Reunion with your wife sometime in the near future.

Warm regards,
Libra.

stillwaiting

Jul 3, 2007
Hi Libra,

Thanks for your input. I guess its just a major concern that the office would simple "trash" official documents expecially when they make this process complicated and instructions are not clear. At the very least, if sent to the wrong office as was indicated by the Mississuaga office,, just return and I will be happy to pay the postal.. no big deal,, but birth certificats, marriage lic, finger prints, pictures, etc.... are not easy to recreate and start over again.... so, I'm quited dissappointed in the process.. additionally, my husband's great-grandfather is one of the Founding Fathers of Cananda and its sad we are having all this trouble getting residency... thanks again.....

samersamer

Apr 24, 2009
Request a copy of my submitted Form which I have lost.

Hi, I have applied using the simplified federal skilled worker form back in 2007.The CIC contacted me now requesting many supporting documents and forms to assess my application.

Problem: I was subject to rubbery and my copy of the simplified application form was stolen among other things.

Question 1: can I request a copy from the CIC? and how ?

Question 2: I dont remember what was the code of my job which I submitted. Is the list of job codes that were open during that time still available somewhere?

Hoping that you can help me out with this...
many thanks.

samer

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Re: Request a copy of my submitted Form which I have lost.

They are asking for supporting documents, not the original application, right? Then you don't need a copy. Unless you listed some documents in there and now don't remember what they were?

Anyway, this is the family class forum. Most of us here don't really know anything about skilled worker applications. For the job code, you will probably be better off asking on the Skilled Worker forum.

samersamer said:
Hi, I have applied using the simplified federal skilled worker form back in 2007.The CIC contacted me now requesting many supporting documents and forms to assess my application.

Problem: I was subject to rubbery and my copy of the simplified application form was stolen among other things.

Question 1: can I request a copy from the CIC? and how ?

Question 2: I dont remember what was the code of my job which I submitted. Is the list of job codes that were open during that time still available somewhere?

Hoping that you can help me out with this...
many thanks.

samer

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
stillwaiting, I hope your wife made complete copies of all the documents she sent in the initial package.

And just to clarify; Is your wife living with you in the U.S.? Or is she here in Canada?

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....