+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Loss of working rights by leaving Canada?

mailman234

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
I'm on open work permit expiring November 2022. I applied for a new closed work permit back in January when I was nominated by PNP.

IRCC sent me letter saying: "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number _____ as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until 22 April or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working."

I left in July to visit family in USA and also did remote work for my Canadian employer while I was there.

Now I'm going back to Canada to go work back in the office but I'm confused now. Because of what it say in letter, have I lost working rights as I left Canada? Or am I still OK because open work permit expires in October?

Thanks for response.

mailman234

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
Bump - would appreciate urgent clarification as I have to go back to Canada in few days and don't know what will happen at the border. Will my open work permit still be valid????

mailman234

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
It's OK, I figured it out but I'm pretty annoyed that no-one else replied to my question on this forum. This forum is honestly becoming pretty useless aside from seeing people's timelines for PR. I am seeing no value here anymore, so I won't share what I learned.

JonyQuest

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
Agree to your point. Replies are infrequent on a lot of genuine questions. Curious to know if you came back into Canada without losing your right to work

tk87

Jun 13, 2022
I have the same query. My Work Permit amendment / extension is in progress. I have to leave Canada due to a personal exigency for short period. My employer is fine with remote work but is not sure on what will happen once I am back. @mailman234 I understand but could you please share your findings. I will be very grateful to you.

Reactions: Armstrong17