+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Loss of Job when Canada Pr in process

barbadikar

Jan 28, 2019
Hello Experts,
I hope you guys are doing well.I come here to seek the expertise and experience of fellow members.Before I ask my question, I would like to give some background.

I have been working in Canada for last 2 years on (closed work permit) accompanied with my wife whose also working on (Open work permit).We applied for a PR in march 2020 with my wife as a primary and I as an accompanied spouse.Both of our work permits expired in July and my company has raised a new work permit for me and open work permit for my wife which is in process and will be valid till Aug 2022.

Now, Unfortunately I got to know that my company lost the project and asked we to return in Nov 2020.
Under this circumstances below are my question :

1. Can both of us apply for Bridging Open work permit when our work permit extension is in process or shall we apply later?
  2. Can I apply for EI if I quit my job instead of going back to India as 6.5.3 Obligation to accompany a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child to another residence says with this reason voluntary quitting the job is accepted.
  3. What will be the status of Health Card if we continue to stay.

tassioborges

May 2, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-02-2020
You can try to restore you status as worker (if eligible), then apply for a BOWP. You can only apply for a BOWP if your current work permit is valid. Also, keep in mind that while you're on implied status, the same conditions of your current WP must be maintained, in your case, it would mean to work for the same company while waiting the BOWP to be approved.

For your EI application, you should call Service Canada and clarify if you're eligible.

I'm not sure how your situation will be regarding your health card, it usually expires at the same time of your work permit. And, since you don't have a valid WP anymore, I don't think you'll be able to renew it.

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
It depends of the province, but usually if you have an application in progress to extend your previous permit (or stay in Canada) they allow a "one time" extension for a shorter period (2 to 3 months) of your health card and driver's license. You gonna need to check with them.

Reactions: barbadikar

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You won’t qualify for EI if you quit. Health card depends on the province but in some provinces you don’t even have coverage with implied status.

Reactions: barbadikar