+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Los Angeles Visa Office Applicants Check in here! :)

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
URIFiggy said:
Just got my CPR today (no visa cause the US is exempt). I'll be landing in March! HORRAY! :p
WAHOO! Congrats!!!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CdnRNUSN said:
Soooo question...after all these months of waiting im a lil confused...my husband is a US citizen and they requested his passport. Is this a normal request? I didnt think they asked for US citizen passports as it is an exempt country? And i just confusing things?
It's up to the visa office. CPP-O doesn't seem to request them, LA does. They might request it as a form of quality control as well ("let's check 10% to see if we find anything interesting...")

CdnRNUSN

Star Member
Mar 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 30 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9 2013
AOR Received.
July 20 2012
File Transfer...
July 31 2012
Med's Done....
March 22 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 9 2013
Canuck_28 said:
They requested my wife's passport as well even though she's from the US and is visa exempt. Only after we sent it in and e-mailed requesting a timeline (since we had upcoming travel) did LA get back to us and let us know that if you're from a visa exempt country you actually have the option to just send in copies of the passport. Unfortunately we had to cancel our trip and she's still without passport 5 weeks later. Just wanted to pass on the info to save someone our grief :)
It actually gave us the option to scan and email. I was hoping they did give us that option as my husband is in Canada with me right now on a visitor visa and we cross fairly frequently. Hopefully you get that passport back soon!!

Thanks all for your input. I wonder if it made a difference that we initally applied outland. Well, nonetheless, we are a step closer!!

kfair001

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 30, 2012
AOR Received.
October 12, 2012
File Transfer...
October 12, 2012
Med's Done....
June 25, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
January 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2013
LANDED..........
May 27, 2013
IvanP said:
Our plan is to sell our car before we leave and then buy something in Canada. Our car is old enough that it's not worth trying to import.
Yeah I hear ya there! We're doing the same thing with out car. Too old! Not sure it would even make the trip. Haha

kfair001

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 30, 2012
AOR Received.
October 12, 2012
File Transfer...
October 12, 2012
Med's Done....
June 25, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
January 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2013
LANDED..........
May 27, 2013
CdnRNUSN said:
Soooo question...after all these months of waiting im a lil confused...my husband is a US citizen and they requested his passport. Is this a normal request? I didnt think they asked for US citizen passports as it is an exempt country? And i just confusing things?
So exciting seeing applicants a couple months in front of me nearing the end of their process.

Ive heard on a couple of other forums that they are transitioning and starting to ask for passport copies rather than the physical passport. But since they're transitioning i think its normal. I wouldn't stress about it. Get excited, the end is near!! :)

cindy-cn

Sep 25, 2012
parker24 said:
Congrats!

All you do is go to a POE (bridge, airport etc) and when you get there, tell them you are landing as a PR, they will walk you through the COPR and make sure it's all right and tell you how to get a SIN and about your PR card and then you will sign some papers and you're done!
Thank you so much. I have another question. The letter from Citizenship and Immigration says dependents cannot arrive in Canda before the principal applicant. My husband sponsored me to immigrate to Canada, and he already is a Canadian citizen. Currently we're living in USA, and he is working in USA and cannot leave work right now. Can I land in Canada first by myself? I'm not sure if I'm a principle applicant or dependent. Thanks a lot.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cindy-cn said:
Thank you so much. I have another question. The letter from Citizenship and Immigration says dependents cannot arrive in Canda before the principal applicant. My husband sponsored me to immigrate to Canada, and he already is a Canadian citizen. Currently we're living in USA, and he is working in USA and cannot leave work right now. Can I land in Canada first by myself? I'm not sure if I'm a principle applicant or dependent. Thanks a lot.
You are the principal applicant. Your husband is the sponsor. You may land in Canada by yourself.

Belinasha

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Doc's Request.
14-09-2012 - New FBI needed - 120 days to submit - then told disregard request
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
29-05-2012 to LA
Med's Request
Meds received 29-05-2012; Medical extension received 16-10-2012
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 received at LA 08-01-2013 ; Decision Made 1-17-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2013 sent to wrong address; 13-02-2013 LA replied new COPR sent to correct address; 21-02-2013 COPR arrives in mail at new address
LANDED..........
22-02-2013....FINALLY after almost 1 full year since applying
Our status changed to Decision Made on Jan 17th. We had sent copies of the passport pages the week before and they received them on Jan 8 in LA. How long after it changes to Decision Made are we looking at for getting the COPR in the mail? Hubby already has a job lined up. Is it possible they could have sent it already?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Belinasha said:
Our status changed to Decision Made on Jan 17th. We had sent copies of the passport pages the week before and they received them on Jan 8 in LA. How long after it changes to Decision Made are we looking at for getting the COPR in the mail? Hubby already has a job lined up. Is it possible they could have sent it already?
In my case, I received the COPR the day it went to DM, so it should just be a matter of mail delay at this stage.

cindy-cn

Sep 25, 2012
Hi everyone,
I'm going to land in Toronto in a few days.I don't know what's the next step after landing? How to apply permanent card and insurance card? I plan to go back to my country after couple of months of landing in Canada, I'm wondering if I need to get any permission again? Even though I land in Canada, I'm not Canadian citizen. Can I leave and come in Canada again after my landing? Are there any limits for that or what do I need to apply for doing that?

Thanks a lot.Wish all of you guys good luck.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
cindy-cn said:
Hi everyone,
I'm going to land in Toronto in a few days.I don't know what's the next step after landing? How to apply permanent card and insurance card? I plan to go back to my country after couple of months of landing in Canada, I'm wondering if I need to get any permission again? Even though I land in Canada, I'm not Canadian citizen. Can I leave and come in Canada again after my landing? Are there any limits for that or what do I need to apply for doing that?

Thanks a lot.Wish all of you guys good luck.
You do not need permission, you legally can come to Canada now YIPPIEE!! When you land, you will talk to an officer who will then get your PR card application done. As for insurance, do you mean Social Insurance Number? That is done at your local Service Canada, which you can do the day you land!

Good luck!

Canuck_28

Oct 5, 2011
Happy Monday all!

So we sent in my wife's passport to LA (before they notified us we didn't actually have to send in the ORIGINAL passport, ha) on December 14th... On January 10, the e-cas status changed to DM...almost 3 weeks ago. Within the almost 7 weeks since PPR, we've had to postpone travel plans 3 times since my wife is visiting me in Canada and without passport can't exactly travel cross-border.

Does anyone have any idea how long it generally takes for passports/COPR to get from LA to Vancouver, BC?

We've e-mailed LA 3 times with all of our upcoming travel itineraries requesting an update and have heard nothing back, shocker, ha. Any ideas of time (or when we should start freaking out a little) would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

cindy-cn

Sep 25, 2012
parker24 said:
You do not need permission, you legally can come to Canada now YIPPIEE!! When you land, you will talk to an officer who will then get your PR card application done. As for insurance, do you mean Social Insurance Number? That is done at your local Service Canada, which you can do the day you land!

Good luck!
Thank you very much. I was told that I can get health card for any sickness. Is it the same as "Social Insurance Number" that you mentioned?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
cindy-cn said:
Thank you very much. I was told that I can get health card for any sickness. Is it the same as "Social Insurance Number" that you mentioned?
No, SIN is so that you can work. It depends on which province you plan to live in, which province would that be? If it's Ontario, there's a 3 month wait.

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island, New York
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
Hi All,

I'm a permanent resident of Canada, sponsoring a dependent child.

My son's file went to Los Angeles in September. (Not sure why L.A. I'm originally from New York, and that is still my son's legal residence, as we await news on his residence status. He's only three years old, but couldn't become a PR with me when I became one, two years ago, because he was still being adopted in the USA.)

Anyhoo. . . . It seems like LA has had the file forever and forever and forever. When I check his status online, I can see my own sponsorship info, but there is ZERO on his status. It doesn't even say it's been received.

Does this seem strangely long to be waiting? When I look at the typical wait times online, it says 10 months for LA. Is that correct?

Thanks, you guys!
Bonacker

PS: I actually initially sent in his application way back in March or April, but we had to redo it twice ... once because some of the forms expired between downloading them and sending them in (brilliant!) and again because they said I should be the sponsor, not my Canadian husband. So the complete and correct application only was accepted in June.