+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking to sponsor girlfriend, but two days short!

crazy-horse

Jan 24, 2011
Hello, I had a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

I have been in a relationship with a Dutch girl for over 4 years now. Last year she moved to Victoria, BC to live with me on a working holiday visa. The plan is for me to sponsor her as my common law partner...

The problem...

I work with the Canadian Forces and unfortunately I was required to sail on the day she had to leave (10 March). So that I cold take her to the Airport in Vancouver and see her off, we decided to book her flight on the 8th of March. This left her with 363 days in Canada living with me. 2 days short of the one year required for common law status.

Are they reasonable with the process? If I explain the situation, will this be acceptable? It's only two days!!

My second question. The plan now is for her to return in one month on a tourist visa. We will apply for the PR status as soon as she is back. I understand that they will issue a visa for a max of 6 months? I know we are bending the rules slightly as she won't really be a "tourist" staying with me. I would like to be 100% honest with the BO, but will they deny her entry to Canada if we tell them the plan? Any advise in dealing with them?

Thank you very much for reading,

Jonathan

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Jonathan they allow for short breaks apart when applying for common law. Two days is perfectly fine to file on. As for coming back she may not be allowed in based on the fact that she stayed here so long previously and wants to visit again so soon.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I don't think she'll have any trouble coming back in as her previous time in Canada was on a work permit. My bf came and went from Europe with very little questioning. Nevertheless be prepared for anything. Even if they give her less than the 6 months she can always extend from within in Canada as she could have done earlier when she was here.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
Being Dutch, she is also visa exempt so technically no 'tourist visa' is being issued, which reduces the chance of trouble for her even further. She can extend her status while staying in Canada,

crazy-horse

Jan 24, 2011
Great, thanks a lot. That's a load off my chest.

It can be quite stressful being in a serious relationship with someone from another country. I will be very happy when we won't have to deal with silly lines drawn across the globe any longer. :)

Thanks again.

Material

Feb 16, 2011
crazy-horse said:
Great, thanks a lot. That's a load off my chest.

It can be quite stressful being in a serious relationship with someone from another country. I will be very happy when we won't have to deal with silly lines drawn across the globe any longer. :)

Thanks again.
To be on the safe side your girlfriend should have a lot of proof to show the IO at the airport that her intent is not to stay in Canada.This should give you an idea:

1.Job letter from her home country
2.Assets in her name
3.Two way ticket(this is very important)
4.Anything else that would prove her going back

I dont think that saying she is here to stay is wise because thats exactly what they dont want to hear (Im not telling you to lie though) so its up to you on how you want to approach them.

Good luck