+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking to retire in Alberta

Expat44

Jan 8, 2020
Partially retired Military Vet (USA) not trying to take a job away from a Canadian, not going to study, don’t own a business, not trying to live off the system or interested in the healthcare. I make enough through pension to live. Anyone have any insight for my options?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Partially retired Military Vet (USA) not trying to take a job away from a Canadian, not going to study, don’t own a business, not trying to live off the system or interested in the healthcare. I make enough through pension to live. Anyone have any insight for my options?
There really aren't any unless you happen to have a spouse / common law partner who is Canadian and can sponsor you for PR - or you have adult children who are Canadian and can sponsor you for PR.

Canada has no immigration stream for retired individuals. You'll have to be satisfied with visiting Canada from time to time as a tourist.

Reactions: Expat44

Expat44

Jan 8, 2020
Yea that’s what I was thinking. Border Agent told me if I come back, they’ll look at my record and the mentality will be “ you’ve had 6 months to figure your stuff out, if you come here you have to work” type thing. I figured if I come in, leave when I’m supposed to leave it shows a pattern of good behavior and following rules. However the flip side and thinking objectively part of me looks at it like there is potentially room for something fishy... so I can understand that but... basically the agent said they may Deny my entry. However I’ve looked up that agent has to provide reason why you are denied entry.

Also thank you very much for your response. I ook

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yea that’s what I was thinking. Border Agent told me if I come back, they’ll look at my record and the mentality will be “ you’ve had 6 months to figure your stuff out, if you come here you have to work” type thing. I figured if I come in, leave when I’m supposed to leave it shows a pattern of good behavior and following rules. However the flip side and thinking objectively part of me looks at it like there is potentially room for something fishy... so I can understand that but... basically the agent said they may Deny my entry. However I’ve looked up that agent has to provide reason why you are denied entry.

Also thank you very much for your response. I ook
You can be denied entry for any reason really - entry to Canada is not a right. It could be as simple as the agent feeling you're spending too much time in Canada or that you have insufficient ties to the U.S. I would recommend keeping your time in Canada to less than six months within any given year to avoid issues.

Generally speaking, an American shouldn't have issues entering Canada provided it doesn't look like he / she is attempting to live here.

Reactions: Expat44

Expat44

Jan 8, 2020
There really aren't any unless you happen to have a spouse / common law partner who is Canadian and can sponsor you for PR - or you have adult children who are Canadian and can sponsor you for PR.

Canada has no immigration stream for retired individuals. You'll have to be satisfied with visiting Canada from time to time as a tourist.
Thank you for your reply.