+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking to marry my gf and move her to Canada from the US

T1000

Apr 13, 2018
Hey everyone. brand new here. Hope you are all doing well. My girlfriend and I want to get married and I want to move her here. I am not quite sure where to start. I could phone the government and ask but that process could be lengthy and time consuming so I am hoping you all could give me some insight. First thing is first though. Do we need to be legally married before I can sponsor her to live up here to get her permanent residency? I know there is a thousand dollar fee to start the paperwork but how does that all start? She is coming to visit in July and I plan to propose to her. So I don't know if we should start the process for permanent residency when she comes to visit. I would love to get her here ASAP so we can start out lives together. I hope someone can help educate me. I need all the help I can get.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everyone. brand new here. Hope you are all doing well. My girlfriend and I want to get married and I want to move her here. I am not quite sure where to start. I could phone the government and ask but that process could be lengthy and time consuming so I am hoping you all could give me some insight. First thing is first though. Do we need to be legally married before I can sponsor her to live up here to get her permanent residency? I know there is a thousand dollar fee to start the paperwork but how does that all start? She is coming to visit in July and I plan to propose to her. So I don't know if we should start the process for permanent residency when she comes to visit. I would love to get her here ASAP so we can start out lives together. I hope someone can help educate me. I need all the help I can get.
You need to be either legally married or common law to start the process. Common law means you have lived together continuously for at least one full year.

Detailed information about how to apply is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Suggest you start by reading through this info in detail. If you have further questions, post them in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum.