+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking on some insight for PR(new) stuck outside for RO in current situation

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
Hello All,

I recently activated my PR (Jan 24 2020, spouse and Child non-accompanying) and traveled back to US.
Before I could wrap-up things in states, the ongoing situation resulted in travel bans, as such, my family (wife and a kid) can't travel back( to India) and now there is complete travel ban altogether. I do know that CA is allowing citizens/PR to travel in, but I can't as my family can't travel back to India and have to stay in US until the current situation subsides at least to a point where travel ban is lifted.

I am trying to understand:
1. what would happen to RO if the current situation extends beyond a year or more (hopefully not),
2. If there would be a leniency(or extension) in PR RO obligation due to current ongoing situation

Any guidances would be much appreciated,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

I recently activated my PR (Jan 24 2020, spouse and Child non-accompanying) and traveled back to US.
Before I could wrap-up things in states, the ongoing situation resulted in travel bans, as such, my family (wife and a kid) can't travel back( to India) and now there is complete travel ban altogether. I do know that CA is allowing citizens/PR to travel in, but I can't as my family can't travel back to India and have to stay in US until the current situation subsides at least to a point where travel ban is lifted.

I am trying to understand:
1. what would happen to RO if the current situation extends beyond a year or more (hopefully not),
2. If there would be a leniency(or extension) in PR RO obligation due to current ongoing situation

Any guidances would be much appreciated,
1. No real impact to you right now. RO is two years out of every five in Canada. Given you just landed in January, you have tons of time to meet the 2 year requirement. Note that you are free to return to Canada right now. You are exempt from the travek ban as a PR. If your spouse and child hold TRVs, they can travel to Canada right now too and are also exempt from the ban. So really no issues in meeting RO for you since you are exempt from the travel ban.
2. Nothing has been announced at this time.

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
1. No real impact to you right now. RO is two years out of every five in Canada. Given you just landed in January, you have tons of time to meet the 2 year requirement. Note that you are free to return to Canada right now. You are exempt from the travek ban as a PR. If your spouse and child hold TRVs, they can travel to Canada right now too and are also exempt from the ban. So really no issues in meeting RO for you since you are exempt from the travel ban.
2. Nothing has been announced at this time.
Thank you @scylla