+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for some inputs - CEC application from within Quebec

Jan 22, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have applied for PR through CEC stream from Quebec, as per the next step, if my application is approved I will receive the COPR, Can I change my address to a different province before that? Am I correct to assume that I won't receive any communication at my current physical address?

Thank you in advance for answering my query

Last edited:

tabbycat

Mar 30, 2023
Hi,

I also applied for PR under the CEC stream while living in Quebec, and recently got approved. When your application is approved, you will be asked to provide an address where you want to receive your first PR card. You can provide a different address than the one you used in your application.

However, you can use a Quebec address with no issue at all (I used my current address in Montreal). At this point, your application has already been approved, so IRCC wouldn’t go back to square one and say you are not eligible because of your address (I know someone told you so before on this forum, but that’s not the case, at least as of now).

Basically, your address only matters when they consider your eligibility. If you present a proof that you have a non-Quebec address (a new lease, etc.), it will certainly help you to convince the officer about your intention to leave Quebec. However, once you pass the eligibility stage, your current physical address doesn’t matter.

Reactions: unbakedCanadian
Jan 22, 2023
Hi,

I also applied for PR under the CEC stream while living in Quebec, and recently got approved. When your application is approved, you will be asked to provide an address where you want to receive your first PR card. You can provide a different address than the one you used in your application.

However, you can use a Quebec address with no issue at all (I used my current address in Montreal). At this point, your application has already been approved, so IRCC wouldn’t go back to square one and say you are not eligible because of your address (I know someone told you so before on this forum, but that’s not the case, at least as of now).

Basically, your address only matters when they consider your eligibility. If you present a proof that you have a non-Quebec address (a new lease, etc.), it will certainly help you to convince the officer about your intention to leave Quebec. However, once you pass the eligibility stage, your current physical address doesn’t matter.
Thank you for sharing your inputs on my query, I really appreciate it. Congratulations on the approval. So as per my understanding, I can easily move to some other province and wait for their decision online.

Also would it be possible to know the timeline for your application approval ? thank you in advance.

tabbycat

Mar 30, 2023
Thanks. Yes, you can move to somewhere else and wait for their decision. In that case, it would definitely be a good idea to inform IRCC about your moving, since it would help them to pass your eligibility if they knew you were no longer physically in Quebec.

My timeline is as follows:
AOR: 29 Nov 2022
Medical pass: 16 Jan 2023
Eligibility pass: 3 Feb 2023
Biometrics pass: 6 Feb 2023
Background pass: 17 Mar 2023
Portal email: 24 Mar 2023 (*you will provide an address on the portal at this point)
eCOPR: 28 Mar 2023

mateu__15

Jan 4, 2023
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your inputs on my query, I really appreciate it. Congratulations on the approval. So as per my understanding, I can easily move to some other province and wait for their decision online.

Also would it be possible to know the timeline for your application approval ? thank you in advance.
Hello, That's really great news! I am living in Quebec, but I want to move to another province! Did you sent a letter saying that you found a job somewhere else, or saying you were moving and showed the lease? Hw did you manage to show them that you were not staying in Quebec?

Thanks!

mateu__15

Jan 4, 2023
Hello, That's really great news! I am living in Quebec, but I want to move to another province! Did you sent a letter saying that you found a job somewhere else, or saying you were moving and showed the lease? Hw did you manage to show them that you were not staying in Quebec?

Thanks!

tabbycat

Mar 30, 2023
Yes, I attached a letter of explanation as an additional document when I submitted the application. It seems that the letter worked for me and they never asked any further information.

As for how to prove your intention to leave Quebec, I think it heavily depends on individual factors (and, of course, the officer who will look at your application). In my case I stated that I was going to move this summer, which is true, but I had neither a job offer nor a lease outside of Quebec.

I never intended to settle in Quebec, so I talked about my relocation with my current employer even before they hired me (I said to them I could only work for a limited duration as I wanted to move). I asked them to write a letter to attest to it. I also explained why I came to Quebec in the first place, and why I would have better job prospects in other provinces (citing my poor French skills and all). Also, other factors such as my education (in English), family status (single with no dependant), and having an open work permit might have helped.

Then again, every case is different and I’m just guessing. I wish you the best of luck.

Dontanmoy

Apr 18, 2024
Hi, thank you for your valuable input. I am in Quebec, and I am also thinking about doing the same. So, if I apply from Quebec, and provide "intent to move", even if I don't change my address, I should have no issue regarding getting the PR? And if I don't ever move outside of QC, will it be any problem for citizenship? Also, does the paycheque address matter? I am thinking of moving to Hawksberry which is only 1 hour from Montreal, and applying from there. This way me and my wife can commute to Montreal daily. This should remove the concern, right?