+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for some help - please respond

enthu

Star Member
Feb 20, 2012
Hello,

I applied for citizenship in May 1st week and received AOR just yesterday. I have few questions if somebody can respond please:

1) I have received AOR, but still cant access my application online. I need to update my address on file. How do I access my app online?

2) Since I received AOR, does that mean I am eligible? I am asking this because I have 1099 days in my app. So I need to make sure there was no error in calculating qualifying days and that hurdle is crossed?

3) I will be leaving Canada by mid of December this year to pursue masters in another country. Given the speed with which apps are going forward, I am pretty sure I wont be done by mid of Dec, including attending oath ceremony and getting my passport. Is this reason enough to request a fast processing? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thank you and look forward to your response!

nilyam

Star Member
Aug 16, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Hello,

I applied for citizenship in May 1st week and received AOR just yesterday. I have few questions if somebody can respond please:

1) I have received AOR, but still cant access my application online. I need to update my address on file. How do I access my app online?

2) Since I received AOR, does that mean I am eligible? I am asking this because I have 1099 days in my app. So I need to make sure there was no error in calculating qualifying days and that hurdle is crossed?

3) I will be leaving Canada by mid of December this year to pursue masters in another country. Given the speed with which apps are going forward, I am pretty sure I wont be done by mid of Dec, including attending oath ceremony and getting my passport. Is this reason enough to request a fast processing? Is there anything I can do about it?

If you recieved an AOR, yes you are eligible. you need to put you UCI #, last name, birthdate and place of birth. processing time as per the website takes 12 months.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hello,

Your situation won’t get you fast processing
You will just have to fly back for test and oath

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Your situation won’t get you fast processing
You will just have to fly back for test and oath
This is what I am most afraid about. Flying back and forth in the middle of studies is not gonna be easy. Plus I have to do visa formalities all over again to continue studying in that country once I get Canadian citizenship. Not sure how all this is gonna work out, but a pretty difficult situation to be in.
Do you guys think if I should try connecting with my local MP and narrate my story to ask for help?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
This is what I am most afraid about. Flying back and forth in the middle of studies is not gonna be easy. Plus I have to do visa formalities all over again to continue studying in that country once I get Canadian citizenship. Not sure how all this is gonna work out, but a pretty difficult situation to be in.
Do you guys think if I should try connecting with my local MP and narrate my story to ask for help?
No it won’t help. You can try but it will be waste of your time. Especially if your case is stuck at background check there’s nothing any MP can do to speed it up. And I personally know quite a few people who had done this , i.e. flying back for test and again for oath while working in another country

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
2) Since I received AOR, does that mean I am eligible?
AOR means you submitted a "complete" application. Thus, IRCC will proceed to process the application.

The decision the application is "complete" includes a determination the applicant has submitted an application which on its face purports to meet the requirements for citizenship; but this is based on what you, the applicant, submitted, with only minimal verification. The latter, the minimal verification done at the AOR stage, is mostly about a preliminary verification of identity and that GCMS records show the applicant's status and dates of status are consistent with what the applicant reports in the application.

The decision the application is "complete" does NOT include any determination as to the accuracy of factual details in the application.

Thus, for example, the completeness check only screens the Presence Calculation to confirm the applicant's information is consistent with eligibility, relying on the travel dates submitted by the applicant. During the course of processing the application IRCC officials will further review and assess the presence calculation, which for qualified applicants usually culminates in a positive decision following the PI Interview; that is, following a review of the applicant's travel documents attendant questions asked during the interview. Thus the soonest, the very soonest that IRCC will conclude the applicant has met the actual physical presence requirement, which of course is necessary before the applicant is deemed eligible, is at the time of the test and interview event. And that is when IRCC does in fact determine the applicant meets THIS particular eligibility requirement for the vast majority of applicants. But for some applicants IRCC is not yet satisfied at that stage and further processing can take place, including requests the applicant submit further information and documentation.

Note: otherwise, eligibility is not totally confirmed until the oath is actually taken.

I am asking this because I have 1099 days in my app. So I need to make sure there was no error in calculating qualifying days and that hurdle is crossed?
The time "to make sure there was no error in calculating qualifying days and that hurdle is crossed" was BEFORE you submitted the application. Especially when applying with a minimal margin.

Many, many applicants make mistakes EVEN WHEN THEY ARE QUITE CONFIDENT THEY MADE NO MISTAKE.

I have no idea how complicated your presence calculation was. Or even whether you used the online presence calculator or CIT 0407. I do not know to what extent, if any, you relied on credit for days in Canada before becoming a PR.

But only applicants who are quite certain about all their travel dates should apply with very little margin above the absolute minimum requirement, and even then many will suggest they too wait to apply with at least a week to ten days more than the minimum.

I do not make these observations to distress you. And, you are OK, you meet the presence requirement, if indeed your presence calculation was accurate enough for IRCC to verify that you were actually physically present at least 1095 days during your eligibility period (or, if you are relying on credit for pre-PR days, that you were actually physically present at least 730 days as a PR plus enough days before that, during the five year eligibility period, to have a total credit for 1095 days).

The point of these observations is mostly about a heads-up in case you are not confident about the travel dates information you submitted. The way you phrased your query suggests some uncertainty, maybe even doubt about your presence calculation.

If you were meticulously careful in reporting all travel dates, and are thus generally confident you submitted complete and accurate information, you are probably OK. (If you used CIT 0407 rather than the online calculator, this includes accurate arithmetic.) No need to worry.

If you are uncertain about what you submitted, it is probably worth revisiting and reviewing what you submitted (I assume you kept a complete copy of your application, including the presence calculation; if not you can do the ATIP request for a copy of your citizenship application file and request a physical copy, and the latter will mostly be a copy of what you submitted). And double checking all the dates. And if you used CIT 0407, triple checking the arithmetic.

I will offer some further observations below about common mistakes and what you might want to consider doing. BUT IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT ABOUT YOUR PRESENCE CALCULATION (especially if you remain confident AFTER reviewing the information), you can IGNORE/SKIP those comments below about what to do if you apprehend mistakes and falling short of 1095 days actual presence.

As others have observed, it is NOT likely this will be a reason for which IRCC will give you urgent processing.

Moreover, making the request for urgent processing for this reason may NOT be a good idea generally. How much so is difficult to speculate and depends on many variables. While living abroad when a citizenship application is pending does not appear to trigger problems to the extent it did in the past, when there was a Conservative government and Harper was PM, and many are reporting NO significant issues (other than the logistical hurdles, which you recognize, like arranging flights on short notice), there remains some risk it can trigger elevated scrutiny, even delays . . . DEPENDING on particular factors. Given that expedited processing is highly unlikely, not much point in making the application for urgent processing and in doing so emphasize going abroad to live.

The fact that you are headed abroad and there is some likelihood that will happen before you are scheduled to take the oath (you could be pleasantly surprised otherwise, but recent timeline reporting does indicate a likelihood it will take more than seven or eight months, by which time it appears you will be abroad), does suggest the need for some careful planning, including being prepared for the logistical challenge of getting notices in time to arrange travel to Canada for scheduled events . . . but, additionally, in conjunction with having applied with such a minimal margin, IF YOU ARE LESS THAN CONFIDENT about the completeness and accuracy of your presence calculation you may want to make the effort to verify your travel dates and presence calculation rather than waiting to see if IRCC challenges it later.

IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN ABOUT WHAT YOU SUBMITTED . . .

As I noted above, I will offer some further observations if you are uncertain about what you submitted, not the least of which warrants emphasis: it is probably worth revisiting and reviewing what you submitted . . . double checking all the dates. And if you used CIT 0407, triple checking the arithmetic.

As I also noted, IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT ABOUT YOUR PRESENCE CALCULATION you can IGNORE/SKIP these comments.

First, however, a note about rather common mistakes apart from outright omissions (a remarkable number of applicants somehow seem to totally forget a trip or two, which generally is NOT too serious a problem for those who applied with enough of a margin to cover the additional days absent): A fairly common mistake is relying on passport stamps. This is especially problematic for little-margin applicants who report the date of exit from Canada based on a passport stamp showing date of entry into another country, since the latter does not document the date the individual left Canada, but only documents when the individual was entering another country; among circumstances which can result in reporting an erroneous exit date based on entry stamp are red-eye flights (thus actual date of exit was day before entry date stamp), trans-Pacific flights (which can be off by two days), and stop-overs for which no passport stamp was entered. Just one of these mistakes should not be a problem. But for the applicant who traveled several times and on more than one trip made errors like this, it could add up to having days deducted and reducing the presence calculation to 1094 or fewer. 1094 days will NOT make the cut. IRCC has NO discretion to grant citizenship if it determines an applicant was actually physically present less than 1095 days.

Which leads to the BIG QUESTION: if you made mistakes and in reviewing what you submitted it becomes clear you actually had only 1094 or fewer days credit for actual physical presence, you probably want to consider withdrawing the current application with an explanation (unintentional error in physical presence calculation) and making a new application with a much bigger margin over the minimum. I have no idea if this is your situation. But you probably want to make sure your presence calculation was accurate, thereby confirming you were actually present at least 1095 days in the relevant time period. AND IF NOT, if it otherwise is clear you did not meet the minimum, start over before you go abroad.

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
AOR means you submitted a "complete" application. Thus, IRCC will proceed to process the application.

The decision the application is "complete" includes a determination the applicant has submitted an application which on its face purports to meet the requirements for citizenship; but this is based on what you, the applicant, submitted, with only minimal verification. The latter, the minimal verification done at the AOR stage, is mostly about a preliminary verification of identity and that GCMS records show the applicant's status and dates of status are consistent with what the applicant reports in the application.

The decision the application is "complete" does NOT include any determination as to the accuracy of factual details in the application.

Thus, for example, the completeness check only screens the Presence Calculation to confirm the applicant's information is consistent with eligibility, relying on the travel dates submitted by the applicant. During the course of processing the application IRCC officials will further review and assess the presence calculation, which for qualified applicants usually culminates in a positive decision following the PI Interview; that is, following a review of the applicant's travel documents attendant questions asked during the interview. Thus the soonest, the very soonest that IRCC will conclude the applicant has met the actual physical presence requirement, which of course is necessary before the applicant is deemed eligible, is at the time of the test and interview event. And that is when IRCC does in fact determine the applicant meets THIS particular eligibility requirement for the vast majority of applicants. But for some applicants IRCC is not yet satisfied at that stage and further processing can take place, including requests the applicant submit further information and documentation.

Note: otherwise, eligibility is not totally confirmed until the oath is actually taken.

The time "to make sure there was no error in calculating qualifying days and that hurdle is crossed" was BEFORE you submitted the application. Especially when applying with a minimal margin.

Many, many applicants make mistakes EVEN WHEN THEY ARE QUITE CONFIDENT THEY MADE NO MISTAKE.

I have no idea how complicated your presence calculation was. Or even whether you used the online presence calculator or CIT 0407. I do not know to what extent, if any, you relied on credit for days in Canada before becoming a PR.

But only applicants who are quite certain about all their travel dates should apply with very little margin above the absolute minimum requirement, and even then many will suggest they too wait to apply with at least a week to ten days more than the minimum.

I do not make these observations to distress you. And, you are OK, you meet the presence requirement, if indeed your presence calculation was accurate enough for IRCC to verify that you were actually physically present at least 1095 days during your eligibility period (or, if you are relying on credit for pre-PR days, that you were actually physically present at least 730 days as a PR plus enough days before that, during the five year eligibility period, to have a total credit for 1095 days).

The point of these observations is mostly about a heads-up in case you are not confident about the travel dates information you submitted. The way you phrased your query suggests some uncertainty, maybe even doubt about your presence calculation.

If you were meticulously careful in reporting all travel dates, and are thus generally confident you submitted complete and accurate information, you are probably OK. (If you used CIT 0407 rather than the online calculator, this includes accurate arithmetic.) No need to worry.

If you are uncertain about what you submitted, it is probably worth revisiting and reviewing what you submitted (I assume you kept a complete copy of your application, including the presence calculation; if not you can do the ATIP request for a copy of your citizenship application file and request a physical copy, and the latter will mostly be a copy of what you submitted). And double checking all the dates. And if you used CIT 0407, triple checking the arithmetic.

I will offer some further observations below about common mistakes and what you might want to consider doing. BUT IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT ABOUT YOUR PRESENCE CALCULATION (especially if you remain confident AFTER reviewing the information), you can IGNORE/SKIP those comments below about what to do if you apprehend mistakes and falling short of 1095 days actual presence.

As others have observed, it is NOT likely this will be a reason for which IRCC will give you urgent processing.

Moreover, making the request for urgent processing for this reason may NOT be a good idea generally. How much so is difficult to speculate and depends on many variables. While living abroad when a citizenship application is pending does not appear to trigger problems to the extent it did in the past, when there was a Conservative government and Harper was PM, and many are reporting NO significant issues (other than the logistical hurdles, which you recognize, like arranging flights on short notice), there remains some risk it can trigger elevated scrutiny, even delays . . . DEPENDING on particular factors. Given that expedited processing is highly unlikely, not much point in making the application for urgent processing and in doing so emphasize going abroad to live.

The fact that you are headed abroad and there is some likelihood that will happen before you are scheduled to take the oath (you could be pleasantly surprised otherwise, but recent timeline reporting does indicate a likelihood it will take more than seven or eight months, by which time it appears you will be abroad), does suggest the need for some careful planning, including being prepared for the logistical challenge of getting notices in time to arrange travel to Canada for scheduled events . . . but, additionally, in conjunction with having applied with such a minimal margin, IF YOU ARE LESS THAN CONFIDENT about the completeness and accuracy of your presence calculation you may want to make the effort to verify your travel dates and presence calculation rather than waiting to see if IRCC challenges it later.

IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN ABOUT WHAT YOU SUBMITTED . . .

As I noted above, I will offer some further observations if you are uncertain about what you submitted, not the least of which warrants emphasis: it is probably worth revisiting and reviewing what you submitted . . . double checking all the dates. And if you used CIT 0407, triple checking the arithmetic.

As I also noted, IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT ABOUT YOUR PRESENCE CALCULATION you can IGNORE/SKIP these comments.

First, however, a note about rather common mistakes apart from outright omissions (a remarkable number of applicants somehow seem to totally forget a trip or two, which generally is NOT too serious a problem for those who applied with enough of a margin to cover the additional days absent): A fairly common mistake is relying on passport stamps. This is especially problematic for little-margin applicants who report the date of exit from Canada based on a passport stamp showing date of entry into another country, since the latter does not document the date the individual left Canada, but only documents when the individual was entering another country; among circumstances which can result in reporting an erroneous exit date based on entry stamp are red-eye flights (thus actual date of exit was day before entry date stamp), trans-Pacific flights (which can be off by two days), and stop-overs for which no passport stamp was entered. Just one of these mistakes should not be a problem. But for the applicant who traveled several times and on more than one trip made errors like this, it could add up to having days deducted and reducing the presence calculation to 1094 or fewer. 1094 days will NOT make the cut. IRCC has NO discretion to grant citizenship if it determines an applicant was actually physically present less than 1095 days.

Which leads to the BIG QUESTION: if you made mistakes and in reviewing what you submitted it becomes clear you actually had only 1094 or fewer days credit for actual physical presence, you probably want to consider withdrawing the current application with an explanation (unintentional error in physical presence calculation) and making a new application with a much bigger margin over the minimum. I have no idea if this is your situation. But you probably want to make sure your presence calculation was accurate, thereby confirming you were actually present at least 1095 days in the relevant time period. AND IF NOT, if it otherwise is clear you did not meet the minimum, start over before you go abroad.
Sounds good. Do you think contacting MP for help can raise any eye brows, and affect my application? I have previously been helped by a MP to expedite my PRTD application. I am thinking I can narrate my reasons to ask for a faster process and clearly indicate that the reasons I mention for an expedite process doesn't qualify per CIC standards, however, besides logistics, the bigger problem is the need to apply for a fresh study visa for that country. This may even interrupt my studies. Do you think it is worth to narrate this story to MP while asking for help, without any negative consequences?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Personal view but contacting an MP will likely make zero difference to expedite anything given it is your personal choice to study outside Canada and in doing so you should have been aware of the challenges in applying for citizenship and study. IRCC may look at it as what is your priority citizenship of Canada or education outside of Canada.

Having said above nothing to stop you putting a case forward .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Sounds good. Do you think contacting MP for help can raise any eye brows, and affect my application? I have previously been helped by a MP to expedite my PRTD application. I am thinking I can narrate my reasons to ask for a faster process and clearly indicate that the reasons I mention for an expedite process doesn't qualify per CIC standards, however, besides logistics, the bigger problem is the need to apply for a fresh study visa for that country. This may even interrupt my studies. Do you think it is worth to narrate this story to MP while asking for help, without any negative consequences?
I do not know.

I am no expert. I am not able to offer personal advice.

A lot, a real lot, depends on your particular facts and circumstances.

The main thing is to make sure that when you applied you did indeed meet the presence requirement.

Beyond that it is NOT likely anyone can help expedite the process. It will most likely take as long as it takes, which unfortunately no one can forecast with any reliable precision.

A PR Travel Document is a very different situation when it involves a PR who is in compliance with the Residency Obligation and stuck abroad. The urgency is readily apparent and all a PR TD does is facilitate travel to Canada. It does not even extend status let alone grant status, but is no more than a formal document showing the status the individual already has. A grant of citizenship is, obviously, a much bigger deal.

All that said, usually there is no downside to asking for urgent processing or getting a MP involved. And sometimes it appears to pay off even when most of us expect otherwise. My comments about requests for urgent processing typically caution it is unlikely (except in some rare circumstances) but there is (usually) no harm in asking . . . unless asking tends to illuminate a risky situation (for example, it would be unwise to request urgent processing in order to qualify for a job in another country, which would NOT disqualify the applicant but quite likely will cause some risk of elevated scrutiny resulting in the opposite of expedited processing).

If you have family settled in Canada and are yourself otherwise well established in Canada, probably not much risk in letting IRCC know about plans to temporarily live abroad for a specific purpose, like a particular educational program. But given the low odds of actually getting expedited processing, those who are risk averse would generally be inclined to not take even a small chance of an adverse effect. (Note: at this time living abroad after applying does NOT disqualify an applicant, unless the stay abroad is so long as to result in a breach of the PR RO before the oath is taken, so the worst case is some additional processing, requests for additional proof, which results in a longer timeline . . . so long as the applicant has a reliable means of timely getting any and all notices from IRCC and can make arrangements to timely appear for scheduled events.)

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Again, the visa, the interruption of study, the schedule ... that’s not the MP’s problem to worry about and there’s nothing special about it that warrants special treatment , it’s really no different from someone trying to go to India to get married or someone who needs the passport to travel for work without visas - none of those had successfully got urgent processing in the recent past ... besides , MPs have little to no effect on this matter. I contacted my MP for my citizenship application (which took nearly 19 months to complete ), and before I hit the one year mark the MP’s office was told by IRCC that there’s nothing they can do if the case is still within the one year time frame, then after one year they told the MP’s office that it was still in queue to be reviewed. According to the case worker at my MPs office, they used to be able to contact IRCC case officer directly and have some influence on specific cases, but not anymore , all they can do is calling the same toll free IRCC number like us and get the same answers now

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Again, the visa, the interruption of study, the schedule ... that’s not the MP’s problem to worry about and there’s nothing special about it that warrants special treatment , it’s really no different from someone trying to go to India to get married or someone who needs the passport to travel for work without visas - none of those had successfully got urgent processing in the recent past ... besides , MPs have little to no effect on this matter. I contacted my MP for my citizenship application (which took nearly 19 months to complete ), and before I hit the one year mark the MP’s office was told by IRCC that there’s nothing they can do if the case is still within the one year time frame, then after one year they told the MP’s office that it was still in queue to be reviewed. According to the case worker at my MPs office, they used to be able to contact IRCC case officer directly and have some influence on specific cases, but not anymore , all they can do is calling the same toll free IRCC number like us and get the same answers now
Ok. Seems like contacting MP is then a completely futile exercise, and I just have to hope and pray that processing is a bit faster than usual to save me trouble.

One more quick question: How do you guys think that IRCC, while verifying number of presence days, checks records to figure out exit dates? There's no exit stamps or any sort of immigration while leaving, so how does CBSA know that somebody left at a particular day and time?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
One more quick question: How do you guys think that IRCC, while verifying number of presence days, checks records to figure out exit dates? There's no exit stamps or any sort of immigration while leaving, so how does CBSA know that somebody left at a particular day and time?
They typically do not try to thoroughly validate all your entry/exit dates. They can try to, if they suspect your records are inaccurate. But it can involve a lot of work and time so they will not usually bother, unless they are suspicious. In those suspicious cases, they can ask you for a bunch of supporting evidence for your dates. They can also get flight manifests and such for flights that you claimed you were on, and entry records from the US. Again, a lot of work and time for you and them - which is why they would rather not bother.

Hence, this is why it is recommended to do your best to have as solid an application as possible that will not raise suspicions. That is why dpenabill (and others) will warn you about "cutting it close" (applying with just over 1095 days). People who do "cut it close" *may* raise suspicions. Because all it takes is one small error in your records and you may not meet the days requirement anymore. Hence IRCC may be more tempted to carefully go through all your travel records to see if they can pick out one that seems incorrect. This is not to say that applying with just over 1095 days will definitely raise suspicions. But it is certainly possible.

Note that all the opinions expressed above are just that - my opinions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok. Seems like contacting MP is then a completely futile exercise, and I just have to hope and pray that processing is a bit faster than usual to save me trouble.

They have access to airplane manifests and border crossing records. Quite amazing to me what they are able to easily find. When my husband applied years ago, he had a very extensive travel history. He missed one same day trip in his citizenship application where his passport wasn't stamped. IRCC found it. He ended up with an RFQ because of this and longer processing times (although the trip obviously made no difference in his residency calculation and he applied with a large buffer of days).