+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for some advice on what to do

BT333

Jun 19, 2018
Hello all. I have some questions. I have been searching the internet to find some answers and came across this forum. Before I make the phone call to a lawyer or consultant of some kind, I was wondering if someone had some knowledge on what I can do.

I am a male, 30 years old from the UK. I am in the great country of Canada on a 2 year Holiday Working Permit. I have been here since March 2017. I worked for 10 months as a Support Technician for a computer software company in Vancouver, BC and was laid off last week. I worked anywhere from 35-40 hours a week. Before I worked there I was a music teacher at a broadway art school in Vancouver for 3 months, only working 12-15 hours a week.

I would like to become a PR in Canada and live full-time in British Columbia. I am single, so no wife and kids. I have a 3-year degree from University in the UK and worked full-time as an animation and graphics designer for close to one and a half years in the UK prior to coming to Canada. I have close to $19K saved in Canadian. My IELTS scores are a bit low I believe. 7.5,7.0,7.0,7.5.

I am just curious if I have any sort of hope at applying for a PR? I did the Express Entry system thing and my score was low, like 360 I believe and it said I am not able to apply for EE, unless I did something wrong. I figure I could try and raise my language scores maybe to help.

Do I have a program I could maybe try and apply for to get PR? BCPNP maybe? What more details do I need to provide to help?

Does my case suck because I am no longer employed?

Any help would be great! Thanks

BT333

Jun 19, 2018
Also, what is the difference between the six selection factors which is out of 100 and the Comprehensive Ranking System?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did you work for 1 full year? Have you looked at what NOC your work was? You may qualify for the Canadian experience class.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html
Even with CEC, a score of 360 is still far too low to be selected.

OP - yes, I would strongly recommend you retake the IELTS test and achieve a higher score. Your score is currently quite low for someone whose primary language is English. Make sure you take several study tests before you retake the test and learn the marking structure to understand how points are awarded and what you need to do to achieve a high score.

The six selection factors determine the minimum score you must achieve to qualify for FSW through Express Entry (that score is 67). The CRS score determines if you are actually selected - the higher the score the better. Right now you need a score of 440+ to be selected.

BT333

Jun 19, 2018
Even with CEC, a score of 360 is still far too low to be selected.

OP - yes, I would strongly recommend you retake the IELTS test and achieve a higher score. Your score is currently quite low for someone whose primary language is English. Make sure you take several study tests before you retake the test and learn the marking structure to understand how points are awarded and what you need to do to achieve a high score.

The six selection factors determine the minimum score you must achieve to qualify for FSW through Express Entry (that score is 67). The CRS score determines if you are actually selected - the higher the score the better. Right now you need a score of 440+ to be selected.

To respond to the above post below you. No, I worked close to 11 months of full-time. 3 months of part-time in Canada (Skill Level A and B). Can that be added up as experience for CEC? Before retaking my language tests, would there be a program I am eligible for now? Even through the BC PNP maybe or do I need to working or have a job offer for that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To respond to the above post below you. No, I worked close to 11 months of full-time. 3 months of part-time in Canada (Skill Level A and B). Can that be added up as experience for CEC? Before retaking my language tests, would there be a program I am eligible for now? Even through the BC PNP maybe or do I need to working or have a job offer for that?
To answer your last question, there's really no short cut to dedicating time to researching the BC PNP programs to see what the requirements are and if you qualify for any of the programs (if you don't have the time, you could consider hiring a lawyer to do this work on your behalf).

To calculate your CEC work experience, you need to verify that you have 52 weeks of full time or equivalent work experience. Each week you worked 30 hours or more - you count as 1 week. For all weeks where you worked less than 30 hours, you need to add up the total number of hours worked and then divide by 30. Add this total to the first calculation. If you have 52 or more - then you can claim a year of work experience.

BT333

Jun 19, 2018
To answer your last question, there's really no short cut to dedicating time to researching the BC PNP programs to see what the requirements are and if you qualify for any of the programs (if you don't have the time, you could consider hiring a lawyer to do this work on your behalf).

To calculate your CEC work experience, you need to verify that you have 52 weeks of full time or equivalent work experience. Each week you worked 30 hours or more - you count as 1 week. For all weeks where you worked less than 30 hours, you need to add up the total number of hours worked and then divide by 30. Add this total to the first calculation. If you have 52 or more - then you can claim a year of work experience.

Thanks.

Is it true that if someone with a Skill Level C can apply for the BC PNP International Graduate (Skills Immigration) program if they show that they have a job working towards a Skill level B?

I found this on this forums website, but the BC PNP website does not say this.

Minimum Requirements for Applicants
Applicants who meet the following requirements may be eligible under the International Graduate Category:

• Applicants must have obtained one of the following:
    • An undergraduate or graduate degree from an eligible Canadian post-secondary institution; or
    • A diploma from an eligible public post-secondary institution in Canada. Diplomas from private institutions are not eligible for this program.
    • A diploma program must be minimum eight months (two semesters) full-time study.
    • The diploma program is not eligible if more than one-quarter is co-op work or an internship.
  • The application must be submitted within two years of the date of completion shown on the official transcript;
  • Applicants must have the credentials and qualification requirements of the position, if applicable;
  • Applicants must provide evidence that they can support themselves and their dependents in Canada, including the following:
    • Income and employment prospects;
    • Location of intended residence in British Columbia; and
    • Information on number of dependents.
  • Have received an offer of indeterminate, full-time employment that typically requires a post-secondary education from an eligible B.C. employer;
    • The offer may be for an occupation classified as NOC level 0, A, or B; or
    • The offer may be for an occupation that is NOC level C or D, where the employer can sufficiently demonstrate a structured plan of career progression with that employer to an NOC 0, A, or B level occupation.