+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for Opinions/Input

Xle1156

Aug 15, 2018
I'm currently a graduate student in the US who wants to move to Canada before 2021. This is something that I have wanted to do since I was in high school, years before Trump being president was even fathomable. I have spent a lot of time reading about the immigration and citizenship laws of Canada and I've identified a few ways that I might be able to pull this off. Basically, I am seeking some input about these plans and I am hoping that someone could point out any flaws in my logic or help me identify an easier route.

My plans are:

1. Claim citizenship by descent. I am currently awaiting a response from IRCC but I am 99% positive it will be a denied because I am the second generation born abroad.

2. Immigrate as a NAFTA professional (or whatever the replacement term will be). My degree will qualify me for this visa but I am not confident I will get a job offer due to my lack of work experience.

3. Stay in the US, gain some work experience, and then immigrate as a NAFTA professional.

4. Stay in the US, gain some work experience, apply for PR and a provincial nomination, and then search for work in Canada.

5. Use an RO to come to Canada on a working holiday after graduation and then use that experience to convince an employer to hire me as a NAFTA professional.

Numbers 3 and 4 are the most realistic but is there anything here that I am nothing thinking of or perhaps misguided on?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Note that there is no immigration stream specifically for NAFTA professionals. NAFTA allows you to get a temporary work permit in Canada - applying to immigrate is a separate process and there is no NAFTA-specific stream. You have to apply along with everyone else.

Xle1156

Aug 15, 2018
Note that there is no immigration stream specifically for NAFTA professionals. NAFTA allows you to get a temporary work permit in Canada - applying to immigrate is a separate process and there is no NAFTA-specific stream. You have to apply along with everyone else.
Yes, I'm aware of that. What I meant is using NAFTA to get into Canada to become part of the Canadian Experience Class after a year.