+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for Jobs in Canada, please help?

pryda31

Sep 18, 2017
Hi there folks,

So i finished all Landing formalities got set up with SIN number and Bank accounts. I was wondering if someone can share some insights on the Canadian job market?

I am specifically asking like trends that you have seen or know about hiring.
How the hiring process works ?
How long do companies usually take to respond to applications?
Does it affect my chances if I am staying in US and applying?
Does it affect my application if I have a US phone number on there?

The reason that i ask this is because I have been applying for jobs since I have gotten my COPR and I haven't heard anything from any employer, which kind of scares me since in US i have a very desirable profile. I get calls from recruiters even when I am not looking for jobs and I am not talking about cold calls, these are for reputed companies, I have even switched once from such a phone call.

I have a Master's degree in engineering. I have been working for just over 5 years. Been a good employee. I have progressed fairly in my jobs. Currently am a entry level /mid level manager with direct reports. I work in the health care / medical device industry. And I am open to relocating anywhere in Canada as well.

What am I missing here? If someone could please help that would be amazing!

Thanks!
-P

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
US phone number and address are definitely a turn-off. Put your self in the recruiter’s shoes. Would you consider a candidate that is residing outside the country of prospective employment when you have a 100s of applications from candidates in the same city the position would be located? Out of those 100s, be sure there’s at least 5 applicants with a profile matching yours. Finding work while your outside Canada is tough, not impossible, but extremely and I mean extremely tough. There’s very few that have been lucky with that route. You need to decide, do you move or stay?

Try connecting with recruiters on LinkedIn. See their response.

pryda31

Sep 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply. That does make a lot of sense. I guess I will have to get a Canadian number. I do have a Canadian address. Any suggestions on how to have a Canadian local number while staying in US? I feel that i am not at the point yet where I will be like just moving to Canada and finding a job.

Cheers!
-P

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is no problem to have Canadian number in US (you can choose if you want it pre paid or post paid). And then you have to search around. For some reason lot of employers are shy when it comes to international work experience only.
Best luck