+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for help on getting my girlfriend to move to Vancouver

Javelandro

Mar 15, 2019
Hello all,
I wanted to ask for your advice as my girlfriend and me are in a very particular situation.

We are both interns in Canada, 27 years old and come from Mexico and were very lucky to be some of the few mexicans to come and live to this amazing country with closed work permits and for a period of 18 months, which makes us very happy! This is under the IEC Young Professionals category.

The only thing is that she got her internship in Winnipeg and I got it in Vancouver.

I started six months before her and it's been now one year, so I am already applying for the PR.

Many of you know how long these processes can take and we really want to be together now.

The option we had in mind is getting our PRs separately and, once that's done, she moves to Vancouver with me (her experience on the company she works for in Winnipeg hasn't been good and she doesn't see herself living there longterm).

I was wondering if you knew about other options we might have or if you think one of the following options we thought about is feasible:

- She sending resumes to companies in Vancouver to see if she can get another Closed /Open Work Permit with a new employer here.

- Me, with the closed work permit, sponsoring her an open work permit (is this possible? Do we need to get married?).

Hopefully you can help us. It would take at least until the end of this year for us to be residents and I am almost sure there is another way to make it happen, given that we are both in Canada already and with closed work permits each.

Thank you!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It would be best if you could include her in your PR application. However in order to do this, you must either be married or be common law (have lived together for at least one full year continuously).

She doesn't qualify for an open work permit right now. If she wants to work for another company, she would need to obtain a job offer from a new company and then apply to change her Young Professional visa to this new employer.

She can only apply for an open work permit based on your work permit once you are either married or common law. So you don't qualify at this time.

Reactions: Javelandro

Javelandro

Mar 15, 2019
It would be best if you could include her in your PR application. However in order to do this, you must either be married or be common law (have lived together for at least one full year continuously).

She doesn't qualify for an open work permit right now. If she wants to work for another company, she would need to obtain a job offer from a new company and then apply to change her Young Professional visa to this new employer.

She can only apply for an open work permit based on your work permit once you are either married or common law. So you don't qualify at this time.
Scylla, thank you! Your reply was very useful. Do Do you think it would be possible then for us to get married in British Columbia before I start the PR application just so that we can do this?

It would be in a rush and quite unexpected but if that is the best option we might as well discuss it.

Thank k you again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Scylla, thank you! Your reply was very useful. Do Do you think it would be possible then for us to get married in British Columbia before I start the PR application just so that we can do this?

It would be in a rush and quite unexpected but if that is the best option we might as well discuss it.

Thank k you again!
Yes - you can get married in BC.