+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for guidance

Jimoftime

Jan 22, 2019
Hey everyone. My first post here.
Are there any real chances to immigrate to Canada as a single 39 years old? I did get a electronic travel authorization but don't know how this would help. I have 12 years of agriculture experience but I feel ready to make a change to work in a different field. Is my budget a bit low at about 15k? What immigration route would you recommend?

Is it possible to get a motorcycle mechanic certificate/diploma and get a job with that ?

Thank you

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey everyone. My first post here.
Are there any real chances to immigrate to Canada as a single 39 years old? I did get a electronic travel authorization but don't know how this would help. I have 12 years of agriculture experience but I feel ready to make a change to work in a different field. Is my budget a bit low at about 15k? What immigration route would you recommend?

Is it possible to get a motorcycle mechanic certificate/diploma and get a job with that ?

Thank you
An eTA has nothing to do with immigrating. Start here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html.

Jimoftime

Jan 22, 2019
Thank you for the reply
eTA has something to do with immigration
You can actually study for a course that is less than 6 months if you have an eTA
Then
You would need AirBNB for accommodation
Show college letter of acceptance if asked for at the arrival airport
Start the 6 months/4380 hrs timer to find a LMIA, put it somewhere where you see it every morning and before going to bed, intention would do a good part of the job
Go to school
Apply for PR card later
guess this is very possible

I know where to start, I'm curious to know about the success chances in my case

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for the reply.
You can actually study for a course that is less than 6 months if you have an eTA
Then
Start the 6 months/4380 hrs timer to find a LMIA, put it somewhere where you see it every morning and before going to bed, intention would do a good part of the job
Go to school
Apply for PR card later

An eTA is simply a checkmark in the computer that lets you board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. Nothing to do with immigration.

Unless you have specialized skills, it is next to impossible to get a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA. Even people studying and working here for years generally can't.

A course of less than 6 months will do nothing to help you immigrate to Canada. If you want to study, take a qualifying 2 year course, as that would give you a 3 year PGWP. You will need to show at least $25,000 to be approved for a study permit.

No one can even begin to tell you your chances. We don't know your education, language scores, specific work experience etc. You need to figure out if you qualify for any of the immigration streams and then figure out your CRS score.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply
Then
Go to school
Apply for PR card later

Recommend you spend more time researching.

If you're going to be attending a college program, then you'll most likely need a study permit and cannot study on an ETA. You can only study on an ETA if the entire duration of the program is six months or less.

Be aware that the chances of obtaining a job offer and LMIA are close to nil. The vast majority of employers are unwilling to go through the process.

Have you researched what it will take to qualify for PR? For example, have you at least calculate how many points you have under the Express Entry program? (Right now you need in the range of 440 points to be accepted.) Have you competed a language test? (Required to immigration.) Have you had your education officially assessed? (Also almost always required to immigrate.)

Jimoftime

Jan 22, 2019
Unless you have specialized skills, it is next to impossible to get a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA. Even people studying and working here for years generally can't.
Had no idea LMIA is so difficult to obtain. I was imagining while being there the chances to find a job contract is much easier than searching for one online.

What makes you think you don't need a study permit?
the duration of the course
there are courses on Aquaponics that are less than 6 months. Mmm organic vegetables

Recommend you spend more time researching.

Have you researched what it will take to qualify for PR? For example, have you at least calculate how many points you have under the Express Entry program? (Right now you need in the range of 440 points to be accepted.) Have you competed a language test? (Required to immigration.) Have you had your education officially assessed? (Also almost always required to immigrate.)
I did not do the express entry test yet or any other test, im just starting on this journey.

Thank you all for the feedback. I will make more in depth research

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Had no idea LMIA is so difficult to obtain. I was imagining while being there the chances to find a job contract is much easier than searching for one online.
It's not unfortunately. You should assume you will not be successful even if you're here. The time and expense an employer has to go through for an LMIA is just to great. As a first step, they have to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. On top of that they have to wait months for the LMIA application to be processed with no guarantee of approval.

It sounds like the course you've chosen to take is fine to do on an eTA. Note that you will not be able to work at all while you study and also won't benefit from Canada's health care system. So make sure you bring enough money to cover both your tuition and living expenses. Also make sure you take out private health care insurance to cover emergencies. You'll have to pay for non-emergency care out of pocket.

Reactions: Jimoftime