Interview........
Waived according to GCMS notes
Passport Req..
DM Jan 16, 2016 PPR Mar 08, 2016
LANDED..........
CANNOT WAIT!
sakamath said:
Let me clear some confusions.

1. Conditional PR. Until recently, when a spousal PR application was approved, the spouse used to get full-fledged PR. It could be revoked only in extreme circumstances. This resulted in many "marriages of convenience" where people married Canadians just to get PR status and then soon after they arrived, they abandoned their Canadian spouse. Hence, CIC introduced "Conditional PR" for spousal PR application. Under this process, a conditional PR is issued to the foreign spouse. Only after the spouse completes 2 years of married life (or has a child) would the PR be deemed as full-fledged. If in the meantime, the foreign spouse breaks the marriage, the PR becomes void.

In your case, since you are already married for 2 years, the conditional PR would not be applicable to you. (Even if it was less than 2 years, if you had a child, that too would grant full PR for your spouse).

2. Residency requirement for maintaining a PR status. Once a person gets PR, they have to maintain their PR status. This is done by staying in Canada (or be able to stay in Canada) for at least 2 out of the last 5 years. The PR can leave Canada at any point in time. But at the time of returning back to Canada, (s)he should be able to prove that they have met this residency requirement or would be able to meet the residency requirement. (For example, a new PR comes to Canada and leaves immediately. When this PR returns after one year, (s)he still has another 4 years to complete the 2 years of residency requirement). If the PR leaves Canada to stay with a Canadian, then this stay is counted towards the PR residency requirement.

There is one more thing to note: To be able to return to Canada, the PR must carry a "PR Card". Without this a PR cannot enter Canada via air/sea.

3. Residency requirement to be eligible for Citizenship. To be eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship, a person must stay in Canada for 3 out of the last 4 years. The only exception here is if the person stays outside Canada because the person's spouse is a Canadian and works for Govt/Military. (Canadians working in pvt sector abroad is not included here-unlike in PR residency requirement)

To sum up your specific question, irrespective of the length of your marriage, your spouse can leave Canada to visit his mum in Europe right away. However, he should ensure that he has his PR card with him when he returns.
WOW. Thanks so much for such a detailed answer. Really appreciate it!

sbrown21

Mar 5, 2013
So I'm feeling like much of the questions I had about about PR and sponsorship have been answered, but I'm still totally in the dark about the work. I'd really need to be able to find work in a hurry when I get there. Any idea on what my best options would be?

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
About work, its the easiest. You can start working as soon as you have your SIN number (you can get this on the same day as you "land" in Canada as a PR). There are no permits required to work here if you land as a PR.