+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for any possible way to stay longer than 6 months

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. We are at the point in our relationship where we want to live together. We do want to get married, but also don't want to rush right into it. I moved in with him October 2011. I stayed in Canada until the middle of December 2011. I came back to the states for the holidays. I returned to Canada in January 2012. I originally told them I was staying until May 2012 (5 months). They were hesitant at first. I didn't show many ties at all to my home country. I did, however, show sufficient funds to be able to support myself. The border officer asked if I would be going back in between that time for visits. I said yes of course. They let me through. Since I entered by land (car) they did not stamp my passport. They also never stamped my passport when I entered in October, as I entered by land then as well.

I am currently home in the states right now. I came back on March 29th. I plan to re-enter Canada on April 18th. I plan to stay until May 21st (coming back for my birthday). I am a little worried this might be an issue, although I have not stayed in Canada longer than 6 months. I will provide travel documentation (flight confirmation for May 21st).

My other concern is, I will be returning to Canada in June sometime to be with my boyfriend again. Is there any way I can stay longer than 6 months in Canada. I have looked into a study visa and I am in the process of applying for a Canadian University, however I am not sure I have enough time to get all necessary information and documents together, as well as the whole process for a study visa, before the fall semester starts. So what other options do I have to stay in Canada longer than 6 months.

orchids8

Star Member
Mar 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2009
Doc's Request.
30-03-2012
Med's Request
22-05-2013
Med's Done....
30-05-2013
You can try applying for a visa extension, but most of the time they'll need proof or good reasons why you want one. A good reason may be that you're in the process of being sponsored, but it doesn't seem to be the case since your relationship seems to be still new or on trial? Alternative, find a job in Canada who can sponsor you as a skilled worker. Another route is becoming a student like what you're doing. Be patient otherwise. 6 months is better than nothing and it's good to not rush into a relationship / a marriage even at this stage. Goodluck!

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years, we're not really rushing anything. We're thinking more towards the marriage side. When I go back, if we get married and fill out a PR application, will I be able to stay?

orchids8

Star Member
Mar 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2009
Doc's Request.
30-03-2012
Med's Request
22-05-2013
Med's Done....
30-05-2013
christinamh said:
My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years, we're not really rushing anything. We're thinking more towards the marriage side. When I go back, if we get married and fill out a PR application, will I be able to stay?
I believe so but you'll need to get a visa extension. I think since you're a US citizen, there is something else that you can do. I'm not aware of everything so it's better to seek advice from an immigration lawyer.

Pummelchen

Star Member
Jun 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I came to CA with a 6 month Visa (stamp in passport). During that time I married my wife and filed an extension for another 6 months so we can prepare our sponsorship application. Filed it online as its easier for CiC and me, no paperwork. I got the extension via Visitor Record in the mail and now will file an extension again ::) to ask for 1 full year to wait how the sponsorship application we sent will be decided.