+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for advice on BOWP and SOWP after IECs (applied for PR as couple)

CLAIRE87

Dec 3, 2019
Hi there, really hoping someone can help as I cannot find the right information anywhere.

Both my partner and I are currently working in Canada on our IECs. We have applied for PR, with me as the principal applicant.
I will be applying for BOWP, but I understand that my partner cannot, and that he instead needs to apply for SOWP (with letter of explanation, detailing my BOWP application and providing the AOR from our PR application).

I understand how to apply for BOWP, but I am not sure where the right link is for my partner to apply for SOWP.

As I am not sponsoring his PR (us applying together with me as principal applicant does not account to me sponsoring), I didn't think that the second link 'sponsored spouse or partner currently living in Canada' is relevant https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1361&top=4

If I do click on that link the next page comes up. I again do not think it relates to me because I am not sponsoring ... see second line 'if you're sponsoring your spouse...' But I am not sponsoring him! Has anyone else been in this situation? If he can apply for SOWP, can he work if his PR does not come through before his IEC expires but before his BOWP is approved, like I can on a BOWP?

I am sponsoring my spouse or partner who is in Canada. Can they work while their application is being processed?
Yes, but only if they have a work permit.
If you’re sponsoring your spouse, they can apply for an open work permit.
It will take us about 4-5 months to process the open work permit application.
Remember that while your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, they must:
  • maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada, and
  • wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work.

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hi Claire,

I recently applied for the BOWP while waiting for my PR after my IEC (WHV) with my common law.

Since you're the main applicant on the PR, you can and have to submit your BOWP visa together. Once it's approved you'll both have the BOWP or will be under implied status after your IEC and until your PR or BOWP is approved.

I also wrote a complete guide on how to submit a BOWP request. Let me know if you're interested, I can sent it via PM.

Mp298

Sep 30, 2019
We also did this as common law partners. When you apply online, you'll complete the questionnaire which will allow you to apply for the BOWP and SOWP at the same time.

I did get an ADR though, asking for proof that the principal applicant is working a job in a NOC code 0, A or B. So upload that along with your current visa and AOR of PR.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Tophele

Kk kabobo

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hi Claire,

I recently applied for the BOWP while waiting for my PR after my IEC (WHV) with my common law.

Since you're the main applicant on the PR, you can and have to submit your BOWP visa together. Once it's approved you'll both have the BOWP or will be under implied status after your IEC and until your PR or BOWP is approved.

I also wrote a complete guide on how to submit a BOWP request. Let me know if you're interested, I can sent it via PM.
Hello nll
I am yet to submit bowp with my spouse
But I don't know how to include my spouse to make it one application.
Can you please guide me.
Can you send me the guidelines and directions on how to submit one application with my spouse?

Thanks very much
My email is aningyaw@yahoo.com

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hello nll
I am yet to submit bowp with my spouse
But I don't know how to include my spouse to make it one application.
Can you please guide me.
Can you send me the guidelines and directions on how to submit one application with my spouse?

Thanks very much
My email is aningyaw@yahoo.com
Hi,
I actually wrote a blog post about the entire process with screenshots. You can translate it with Google Translate.

https://www.whileimgone.fr/prepare-ton-expatriation/bridge-visa-permis-travail-ouvert-transitoire-conjoint-fait-pvt-hors-quebec-guide-complet/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kk kabobo

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hi,
I actually wrote a blog post about the entire process with screenshots. You can translate it with Google Translate.

https://www.whileimgone.fr/prepare-ton-expatriation/bridge-visa-permis-travail-ouvert-transitoire-conjoint-fait-pvt-hors-quebec-guide-complet/

Hi
Thanks very much

I tried translating it but not all got translated.
So if you have the translated version you can send it to me as well.
I really need your help.

Thanks.

Kk kabobo

Star Member
May 27, 2019
We also did this as common law partners. When you apply online, you'll complete the questionnaire which will allow you to apply for the BOWP and SOWP at the same time.

I did get an ADR though, asking for proof that the principal applicant is working a job in a NOC code 0, A or B. So upload that along with your current visa and AOR of PR.

Hope this helps.
[/QUOTE
Hello can you explain to me which proof of employment we should attached to our bowp and sowp application.
My spouse who is the PA change his job after the application so he is doing the same job with different company.
So in this case should we add the employment letter from his current job or the one that we used for the pr application
Thanks

Kk kabobo

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hi Claire,

Hi nll,
Can you assist me with one last issue.
My spouse who is the principal applicant had to quit his job that we used for the pr application. And he is doing the same job with different company.
In this case which of the work should we add as prof of employment in the BOWP application,?.
1.is it the current job that he is doing which is the same noc with same job title
Or
2. The one that we used for the initial pr application which he is no longer doing .
Your input will be much appreciated

Thanks again.

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hi nll,
Can you assist me with one last issue.
My spouse who is the principal applicant had to quit his job that we used for the pr application. And he is doing the same job with different company.
In this case which of the work should we add as prof of employment in the BOWP application,?.
1.is it the current job that he is doing which is the same noc with same job title
Or
2. The one that we used for the initial pr application which he is no longer doing .
Your input will be much appreciated

Thanks again.
Hi,
As long as it doesn't impact your CRS score you can list the two jobs.
Just say he was working Job A from X to Y and now he's working Job B which is the same NOC.
I also started a new job after sending the PR as the main applicant and I believe I listed the new job and the previous one as well in the BOWP.

Make sure to send the AOR of your PR when sending the BOWP. I detailed the process in the blog post, it's very important.

Kk kabobo

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hi,
As long as it doesn't impact your CRS score you can list the two jobs.
Just say he was working Job A from X to Y and now he's working Job B which is the same NOC.
I also started a new job after sending the PR as the main applicant and I believe I listed the new job and the previous one as well in the BOWP.

Make sure to send the AOR of your PR when sending the BOWP. I detailed the process in the blog post, it's very important.
thanks very much
Did you add any letter of employment from your new job or the old job you used for the pr application?
We want to add letter of employment but we don't know which one to add.
Thanks

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
thanks very much
Did you add any letter of employment from your new job or the old job you used for the pr application?
We want to add letter of employment but we don't know which one to add.
Thanks
None. I just added the end date of my previous job and then listed the new one but I didn't send any additional letter of employment that I didn't send with the PR. The experience of those jobs didn't help with my PR application (my experience abroad was enough). But it doesn't hurt to clarify your situation if you think it can be helpful. You can mention it in the LOE and add the letter in the same PDF.

Kk kabobo

Star Member
May 27, 2019
None. I just added the end date of my previous job and then listed the new one but I didn't send any additional letter of employment that I didn't send with the PR. The experience of those jobs didn't help with my PR application (my experience abroad was enough). But it doesn't hurt to clarify your situation if you think it can be helpful. You can mention it in the LOE and add the letter in the same PDF.
Thanks so much for your help

Kk kabobo

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hi,

Hello nll happy new year!
I just want to know where I can upload my spouse information in the BOWP application.
It seems the section available is only for the PA it there is no space for my spouse.
Is it that I didn't do it well ? Can you help?

Mp298

Sep 30, 2019
Hello nll happy new year!
I just want to know where I can upload my spouse information in the BOWP application.
It seems the section available is only for the PA it there is no space for my spouse.
Is it that I didn't do it well ? Can you help?
When you started up the application, you must select 'Yes' to the question that asks whether your spouse is accompanying you to Canada. This will create a section for your spouse when completing the application. The additional information that isn't listed (such as proof of employment of PA) should be attached to the additional documents section.

Reactions: Kk kabobo