+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for a room in Toronto Downtown !

Kummy29

Aug 9, 2011
Iowa,USA
Visa Office......
Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2009
Doc's Request.
30-09-2009
Nomination.....
10-01-2010
AOR Received.
17-09-2010
IELTS Request
10-01-2010
File Transfer...
05-10-2011
Med's Request
23-02-2012
Med's Done....
06-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April-04,2012
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 13, 2012
LANDED..........
28-May,2012
ALL,

I am starting a new Job at Toronto by the end of the month.

Could you please suggest a few places to rent, or send me some websites for me to look at ?

IYP, which is the best place to live around Toronto ? Etobicoke ? Milton ? Scarborough ?

Thanks

- Kummy

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's a difficult question to answer because it depends on what you're looking for (big city vs. suburbs), how much you can afford to spend on rent, if you need to be near schools, if you need to be near public transportation, etc.

I live in downtown Toronto and work in the business district. Yes - living downtown is expensive - but I love the city and you couldn't pay me to live in Scarborough or Milton. My brother lives in Etobicoke with his family. It's very nice. But again, definitely not for me.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Well, you couldn't pay me enough to live in Toronto and I even own a condo downtown.

That being if the prospects of long time employment are good, you should move close to where you work.

As you are probably aware by now, the public transit in Toronto is worse than in many third world countries and besides the monopolistic TTC you don't have many other options. So get a place close by and save yourself some time and sanity.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
mrbeachman said:
As you are probably aware by now, the public transit in Toronto is worse than in many third world countries and besides the monopolistic TTC you don't have many other options. So get a place close by and save yourself some time and sanity.
Thats quite an exaggeration, i come from a third world country and have been to few other 3rd world countries as well...its much better in Toronto and in fact there's no room for comparison (its like when you say: "The Fridge is taller than the mouse" those are 2 different things which have nothing in common and cannot be compared)

The subway is working very fine, really fast and convenient, buses are everywhere. What is it that you don't like, I'd like to understand your opinion a bit more?

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
No, it is not exaggeration at all.

I am in Bangkok and besides a Subway system and a Skytrain system (which btw is being expanded every 2 years) I can conveniently choose between many ground transport options at every price level imaginable. From non aircon buses aircon buses, shuttle buses, etc.

In a city famous for it's floods the public transport was never disrupted like it shockingly happens in Toronto Union station (a transportation hub they call, lol). Infrastructure - bad. Rude entitled drivers that make more than doctors. Sorry....

There is no comparison.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
mrbeachman said:
No, it is not exaggeration at all.

I am in Bangkok and besides a Subway system and a Skytrain system (which btw is being expanded every 2 years) I can conveniently choose between many ground transport options at every price level imaginable. From non aircon buses aircon buses, shuttle buses, etc.

In a city famous for it's floods the public transport was never disrupted like it shockingly happens in Toronto Union station (a transportation hub they call, lol). Infrastructure - bad. Rude entitled drivers that make more than doctors. Sorry....

There is no comparison.
OK, i got your point...thinking third world countries i didn't have bangkok in mind, Kuala lumpur (malaysia) on the other hand is pretty fine too - but if you compare toronto to african cities then its totally different.

There are cities in africa where the government does not own the transportation system i.e. its run by individuals, each owns his own bus, and they (only they) decide when to hit the road and when not..no one can tell you when the bus will arrive :)