+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looked around after reading an article but...Reunification Class?

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
So long store short I have my little bro(20yo) going to school here in the hopes after he graduates he can do co-op, etc. be a professional and then perm resident, maybe if he wants he'll follow me to citizenship.

Couple days ago I read an article while waiting for my doctors appointment. So supposedly there is this refugee(immigration) status called the 'Reunification Class', that I can sponsor him into even if he's over 18 years of age. And one of the requirements was him taking post secondary education(sounds perfect).

Not sure if that magazine was old, or from some other country. I was nervous seeing the doctor but I'm pretty sure I've read that right. In my old age I'm so forgetful to take down any specifics...

I looked around and I found nothing that suggest that I can sponsor him at his age.

Anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canada has no reunification class for siblings.

You might qualify to sponsor your brother if you have no spouse and no children, your parents are no longer living and you have no other family in Canada.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
scylla said:
Canada has no reunification class for siblings.

You might qualify to sponsor your brother if you have no spouse and no children, your parents are no longer living and you have no other family in Canada.
Here is the article. And what got my attention: cbc.ca 2013/05/10/pol-immigration-family-changes (cant post links lol)

Currently people are allowed to sponsor siblings under the family reunification class and Kenney said that has meant adults in their 20s and 30s, if enrolled in a post-secondary program, are eligible to come to Canada. The minister said these people shouldn't be classified as dependent children because they're not children anymore and should take responsibility for themselves.
How should I interpret this? I couldn't find the form, etc. on the immigration website. I do have a family but I'm making enough to sponsor my brother, his tuition, books, etc. but it would be helpful if he can get perm resident.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
s3nr1 said:
Here is the article. And what got my attention: cbc.ca 2013/05/10/pol-immigration-family-changes (cant post links lol)

How should I interpret this? I couldn't find the form, etc. on the immigration website. I do have a family but I'm making enough to sponsor my brother, his tuition, books, etc. but it would be helpful if he can get perm resident.
It might be easier to get him in the country as a student. After that, the path to becoming a PR is a lot easier.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Steph C said:
It might be easier to get him in the country as a student. After that, the path to becoming a PR is a lot easier.
Should have weirded my words differently, sorry. My brother is already here enrolled at Carleton U, it would be great if I could sponsor him to PR as soon as possible because of the obvious.

Now if what Kenney said is something new and n one here has any idea, I guess the only sure way to know as to go to the nearest immigration office with my brother. I just didn't want to raise false hope he should only worry about his studies.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
s3nr1 said:

This means that if you sponsor your parents for PR you cannot include your brother in the application. The rules have actually become MORE restrictive when it comes to family reunification.

Your brother's best bet it to get a post graduate work permit after he finishes his studies, work for at least one year in a skilled job full time and then apply for PR through the Canadian Experience Class program.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
s3nr1 said:
Now if what Kenney said is something new and n one here has any idea, I guess the only sure way to know as to go to the nearest immigration office with my brother. I just didn't want to raise false hope he should only worry about his studies.
It's false hope.

Many of us here understand the new rules perfectly. They don't provide a means for you to sponsor your brother. The new rules state that you can't include your brother if you sponsor your parents. Previously you would have been able to include your brother in the application to sponsor your parents. Now you can't. That's the change.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
s3nr1 said:
scylla said:
It's false hope.

Many of us here understand the new rules perfectly. They don't provide a means for you to sponsor your brother. The new rules state that you can't include your brother if you sponsor your parents. Previously you would have been able to include your brother in the application to sponsor your parents. Now you can't. That's the change.
Agree with scylla. The article you read was referring to the situation of when a PR sponsors his parents and the parents include dependent children in their app. So the PR is sponsoring his parents and through them, his dependent siblings as well. Under the old rules, you could have sponsored your parents and included your brother in the app. However, with the new rules, this is no longer possible.