+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Longer processing time for citizenship grant

ZiadPal

Star Member
Jan 1, 2015
IRCC has updated its processing time tool to provide more accurate information. Unfortunately, the citizenship grant processing time is now 27 months!

Very unfortunate news, but guys based on your knowledge, is there any hope this to change after a year from now? I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in a year and was hoping for better processing time.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
IRCC has updated its processing time tool to provide more accurate information. Unfortunately, the citizenship grant processing time is now 27 months!

Very unfortunate news, but guys based on your knowledge, is there any hope this to change after a year from now? I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in a year and was hoping for better processing time.
Not likely. Out of curiosity, what would you do if nothing changed? Would you still apply for the citizenship in Canada?

ZiadPal

Star Member
Jan 1, 2015
Not likely. Out of curiosity, what would you do if nothing changed? Would you still apply for the citizenship in Canada?
Well, yes. After all of my investment in my studies and the long journey to get a PR, I don't want to put all of this behind me. It is just unfortunate to wait a long time for citizenship after being in Canada for a long.

Reactions: snoopyta

svk1520

Dec 25, 2017
I agree with @CaBeaver . Why are you worrying for something one year down the line? Entire world changed in 2020 within months, think what could possibly happen in 1 year. What if citizenship eligibility changes from 3 years to 4 years? Then you would not be able to file next year. So relax, cross the bridge when the time comes.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Well, yes. After all of my investment in my studies and the long journey to get a PR, I don't want to put all of this behind me. It is just unfortunate to wait a long time for citizenship after being in Canada for a long.
If you get better opportunities, I would say go for it. Don't let the few years investment hold you back. The road ahead might be long. But if you are working in Canada and your prospects are good, then the wait is not a waste of time

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I wrote here about this for the family sponsorships, I think it applies to citizenship as well:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/outland-sponsorship-increased-processing-times.763862/#post-10034866

This "update" doesnt' change anything, they just weren't updating it during covid (and telling everyone that delays were unknowable etc).

Now that they have: the figure of 27 months is entirely looking backwards, at a point when they're catching up/returning to 'normal' or hopefully maybe even improve (hope dies last).

And remember: that number means (roughly) that 80% were done within 27 months - of course, many of those were done quicker.

Anyway: if you applied recently, this backward looking number is irrelevant. If you applied 27 months ago and still haven't received - well, there you are (do you feel any better?).

Of course, future could be worse or other things happen, but there's some reason to believe timeframes will shrink.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Well, this time line updates is a "dynamic" time line, not a "standard processing" time line so it might be changed according to the number of application IRCC has processed. Check back after a couple of weeks to see it may have some updates.
Personally, I read the Citizenship box "September 2021" thread and saw that, someone already have the Oath invitation line up for April 2022
So it is not applicable for everyone apparently
But in your case, you are still a year away, lots of thing could change by the time you are eligible. They may even change the eligibility period. Mind you, there was a time IRCC required 4 years being physical in Canada before you can apply for the citizenship
So, chill out, relax, do your stuff as usual and when the time comes, go for it

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wrote here about this for the family sponsorships, I think it applies to citizenship as well:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/outland-sponsorship-increased-processing-times.763862/#post-10034866

This "update" doesnt' change anything, they just weren't updating it during covid (and telling everyone that delays were unknowable etc).

Now that they have: the figure of 27 months is entirely looking backwards, at a point when they're catching up/returning to 'normal' or hopefully maybe even improve (hope dies last).

And remember: that number means (roughly) that 80% were done within 27 months - of course, many of those were done quicker.

Anyway: if you applied recently, this backward looking number is irrelevant. If you applied 27 months ago and still haven't received - well, there you are (do you feel any better?).

Of course, future could be worse or other things happen, but there's some reason to believe timeframes will shrink.
Yes, it's based on historical data. & we all know that processing was delayed because of COVID & IRCC is still processing files from 2019. They just updated that information on portal.

But we are also seeing continuesly that decisions are being made for 2021 applications as well.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Yes, it's based on historical data. & we all know that processing was delayed because of COVID & IRCC is still processing files from 2019. They just updated that information on portal.

But we are also seeing continuesly that decisions are being made for 2021 applications as well.
Where has the backlog grown since February?
As of the end of February 2022, the citizenship inventory is 453,265. This figure includes all prospective, mailroom estimates and unopened electronic applications.

IRCC previously reported the backlog for citizenship applicants was standing at about 448,000 on December 31, 2021.

There were about 5,000 more citizenship applications in the inventory at the end of February, compared to the end of December.

[source]
So, yeah, color it as you like. The fact of the matter is that the backlog has grown over time, not shrunk. The 2021 fast progress was a workaround by IRCC to maintain the 12 months processing time at the expense of 2019 and 2020 applicants. This won't happen anymore, and IRCC will probably go back to FIFO processing paradigm. IRCC wouldn't have updated their processing time unless they knew for sure, the backlog is not going to be cleared soon. Different internal documents mentioned if any thing, the processing time is expected to increase to 3-4 years based on the current strategy. Unless they adopt a new strategy, things are not getting better any time soon.

Reactions: Kornet and Dreamlad