+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Long visit overseas and medicare

AtlanticCat

Oct 18, 2018
Hello!

A friend of mine and her kid were overseas for personal reasons and 2 months of visits turned to be 11 months.

She has an NB medicare card that expires in 2025. Someone me mentioned that her Medicare coverage has lapsed and she should apply for it again.

Anyone with a similar experience? Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello!

A friend of mine and her kid were overseas for personal reasons and 2 months of visits turned to be 11 months.

She has an NB medicare card that expires in 2025. Someone me mentioned that her Medicare coverage has lapsed and she should apply for it again.

Anyone with a similar experience? Thank you
How much time had she spent in Canada before leaving for 2 years and how old is her child? In the future she should contact the provincial health authority before leaving for long periods of time of if appears her trip will be extended for a long period of time.

Has she contacted CRA to inform them of her absence? That is also required both to determine her residency status and to determine whether she is entitled to certain benefits. It is better to be upfront in case she has been overpaid to limit the penalties.

AtlanticCat

Oct 18, 2018
These were overlooked as her husband remained in Canada and both were paying taxes meanwhile, so she has strong ties to Canada during this period of time.

I've been in Canada for years now and I'm also learning about these topics too. Before posting here on this great forums, many people didn't know about these topics too.

AtlanticCat

Oct 18, 2018
https://www.pxw1.snb.ca/snb7001/e/1000/CSS-FOL-35-5012E.pdfM

You were required to fill out this form about your absence. You should be filling it out upon your return. New Brunswick will determine whether you and your child will need to reapply and start the 3 month wait period again. Not declaring the absence is healthcare fraud and you could be billed for any services you use.
Thank you. Is it 3 months wait or immediate access as she was resident for tax purposes during this period with her kid? She has a husband living and working in Canada to support them, she stayed in a temp accommodation all this period overseas and top of all of this. No one knows about such topic including myself who lived in nb all this time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. Is it 3 months wait or immediate access as she was resident for tax purposes during this period with her kid? She has a husband living and working in Canada to support them, she stayed in a temp accommodation all this period overseas and top of all of this. No one knows about such topic including myself who lived in nb all this time.
Tax residency status isn’t related to qualifying for healthcare. Both your spouse and child will likely need to restart the 3 month wait period again on their return. Only the province of NB can really confirm whether they will need to restart the 3 month wait period but it is pretty likely that they will. Being a tax resident also doesn‘t guarantee that you qualify for the same benefits as you do when you were living in Canada. Things like CCB are to help with the cost of raising a child in Canada and GST rebate os supposed to refund some of the GST you paid as a resident while living in Canada so you need to contact CRA. It is better to inform CRA before you leave that you will be away so you never receive any funds you aren’t entitled to but at least if you contact them now you will avoid penalties if it is found that you received benefits that you weren’t entitled to. CRA is the only one who can determine whether you are tax residents and what benefits you and your child are entitled when you are out of Canada for a long period of time.

Unfortunately many people don’t seem to read the paperwork they are given when they originally register for things or look into whether they still qualify for things and make assumptions. You must have done some research because you have determined that you are likely a tax resident because your spouse remains in Canada. Even if a spouse remains in Canada most residency requirements or the ability to qualify for things like healthcare are usually based on the individual. In terms of healthcare there is a residency requirement or else citizens and PRs could return whenever they needed medical care and leave after receiving care. The residency requirement is there so that those who have been out of most provinces for a long period of time can’t return and receive healthcare right away so people aren’t tempted to only return to receive healthcare and leave once again. The residency requirement also ensures that most are usually tax residents and usually working and paying into the tax base.

If you are planning on returning soon or have just returned this can be fixed before you use any healthcare and file your taxes.

Last edited: