+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Long Pending spousal TRV

Rerouting

Aug 11, 2019
Hi Everyone,

we need some guidance on visa application of my wife.
me and my wife came to Canada in July 2018 with work permit valid till June 30, 2019.

1. I received initial work permit extension for one month till July 31, 2019.
Following this i applied for visa extension for both me and my wife (applied on June 30, 2019- TRV for both of us. Previously my wife was on open work permit but this time i just applied for TRV).

2. In 2nd step my work permit got extended for 2 years till June 2021.
when my first application was processed they provided me visa directly for whole this period ( I dont know how)
My wife's application is still pending from June 30th.
I am not sure what are my options here.
Can i just cancel her previous application and reapply?
I understand she can stay under implied status, but how long?
I contacted IRCC they mailed me back saying application is in process.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

we need some guidance on visa application of my wife.
me and my wife came to Canada in July 2018 with work permit valid till June 30, 2019.

1. I received initial work permit extension for one month till July 31, 2019.
Following this i applied for visa extension for both me and my wife (applied on June 30, 2019- TRV for both of us. Previously my wife was on open work permit but this time i just applied for TRV).

2. In 2nd step my work permit got extended for 2 years till June 2021.
when my first application was processed they provided me visa directly for whole this period ( I dont know how)
My wife's application is still pending from June 30th.
I am not sure what are my options here.
Can i just cancel her previous application and reapply?
I understand she can stay under implied status, but how long?
I contacted IRCC they mailed me back saying application is in process.

Thanks.
Did you change her status to visitor before her work permit ran out? You would need to extend or get a new TRV but that is only necessary if she wants to renter the country.

Rerouting

Aug 11, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

I never realized this issue. But now may be it is making sense to me.
I applied exactly on the last day of her end of work permit, which was June 30, 2019.
When i was filling up the application it didn't allowed me to submit application with last date of work permit as June 30,2019. So i just put date July 1st, 2019 and mentioned that in additional letter.
I am not sure now whether that is affecting her application in any way.
What should be the next step for me?
In case if i cancel previous application and reapply will it cancel my application? ( I was a principle applicant and representative for her application).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

I never realized this issue. But now may be it is making sense to me.
I applied exactly on the last day of her end of work permit, which was June 30, 2019.
When i was filling up the application it didn't allowed me to submit application with last date of work permit as June 30,2019. So i just put date July 1st, 2019 and mentioned that in additional letter.
I am not sure now whether that is affecting her application in any way.
What should be the next step for me?
In case if i cancel previous application and reapply will it cancel my application? ( I was a principle applicant and representative for her application).
How were you the principal applicant? Your wife needs both visitor status and a temporary visa. You should have a work permit and a temporary visa. You needed to change her status from work permit to visitor status before the work permit expired. It sounds like she may not have status in Canada at the moment. I am a bit confused as to why they wouldn’t have denied her if that was the case. Normally if you are denied within 90 days you can at least apply for restoration. I would have your wife call IRCC tomorrow and figure out what her status is in Canada. She will be on hold for a long time.

Rerouting

Aug 11, 2019
Once i got the work permit. I applied for TRV for both of us, thats why i was a principle applicant. My TRV got accepted immediately.

For her i filled up imm 5708 (Application of change condition, extend my stay or remain in Canada). Which is still pending.

The reply i received from IRCC says this

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information in your file and can confirm that the application received on June 30, 2019, is for a visitor record.

We invite you to verify the information listed below in order to confirm if the application you submitted reflects your situation correctly. If:

• You are a visitor and are looking to extend your stay:
  • You require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada:
If after verifications you find that you may have submitted the wrong form, you could be eligible to withdraw your application and obtain a refund.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Once i got the work permit. I applied for TRV for both of us, thats why i was a principle applicant. My TRV got accepted immediately.

For her i filled up imm 5708 (Application of change condition, extend my stay or remain in Canada). Which is still pending.

The reply i received from IRCC says this

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information in your file and can confirm that the application received on June 30, 2019, is for a visitor record.

We invite you to verify the information listed below in order to confirm if the application you submitted reflects your situation correctly. If:

• You are a visitor and are looking to extend your stay:
  • You require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada:
If after verifications you find that you may have submitted the wrong form, you could be eligible to withdraw your application and obtain a refund.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.
Ok so you did change her status to a visitor and it was recorded as June 30th. Not sure why it is taking so long. You can’t cancel it and reapply because then she would be out of status. I would call IRCC and ask if they can give you an idea why this hasn’t been processed.