+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Long Distance Relationships

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
Hello Everyone.

I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for 2 years now.
We met when I was working abroad, and had physically been with each other for 6 months, before I had to return back to Canada, as the Visa was reaching its expiration.

We last met on December 2019, before the covid mess hit the world, and since then we haven't been able to physically meet each other.

When I heard they were allowing people who are in LDR to visit Canada to meet their significant others, we were joyed by it, and decided to hire a lawyer and filed for the visitor visa.

Unfortunately, we received letter of refusal, and we are both extremely saddened by this.

We were already planning on getting married before, so my Lawyer is suggesting that we go for a spousal visa, so I wondered what's you guys' view on this?

My issue is that this may cause us to be apart from each other even longer, as I need to remain in Canada during this process, due to me being PR.

We both feel extremely stuck currently that I honestly don't know what I can do.

P.S. We have talked about moving to another country together, but as I'm PR, I cannot stay outside of Canada for more than 3 years

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Never heard of a sponsor visa. If he means sponsoring for permanent residence, you won’t qualify as common law. You would need to be married to sponsor.

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
This suggestion may sound crazy. Ask her to enrol in one of the college here in Canada for any of the caregiver program.

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
Never heard of a sponsor visa. If he means sponsoring for permanent residence, you won’t qualify as common law. You would need to be married to sponsor.
sorry I meant spousal visa, and yes we were planning on getting married so it isn't too big of an issue on that regard

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
This suggestion may sound crazy. Ask her to enrol in one of the college here in Canada for any of the caregiver program.
Honestly anything is better than being apart.
Do you happen to know the difficulty for getting approved for such programs?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is not necessarily difficult to get into a program. You have to apply and get admited. The difficulty is the study permit. You need to show that you can afford the program and that the program advances your career in your home country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is only going to be a good strategy if this relates to her previous education and work experience. Otherwise IRCC will most likely just see this as an attempt to get her to Canada through any means possible.

The study permit route is certainly worth trying. However she will need to make sure her planned studies in Canada make sense in light of her previous education and work experience - and also show a progression in her studies (i.e. if she already has a bachelor degree then it would make most sense for her to come to Canada to take a Master's).

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
This is only going to be a good strategy if this relates to her previous education and work experience. Otherwise IRCC will most likely just see this as an attempt to get her to Canada through any means possible.

The study permit route is certainly worth trying. However she will need to make sure her planned studies in Canada make sense in light of her previous education and work experience - and also show a progression in her studies (i.e. if she already has a bachelor degree then it would make most sense for her to come to Canada to take a Master's).
yeah she's graduated from University. She currently works as a School Teacher.
At the end of the day we just care more about being together, rather than being in Canada.
I even considered moving out of Canada, but I don't think the situation is any better with employment in other countries thanks to Covid

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yeah she's graduated from University. She currently works as a School Teacher.
At the end of the day we just care more about being together, rather than being in Canada.
I even considered moving out of Canada, but I don't think the situation is any better with employment in other countries thanks to Covid
I would get married as soon as you can and then submit a spousal sponsorship application as soon as you have returned to Canada.

You can try for another TRV or go the study permit route. But you don't know if either of those will be approved so best to get the sponsorship application underway as soon as you can. I would order GCMS notes so that you can see the detailed reasons behind the TRV refusal (do this before you reapply for a TRV or apply for a study permit).

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
Can you leave the country for a holiday and meet her, get married and then apply for spousal sponsorship.
That's what I'd like to do, but as current situation stands, I think its difficult to even leave Canada...
Once I'm back, I'd be hit with that ridiculous $2k "hotel" fee + Quarentine of another 2 weeks, meaning I won't be working for a whole month

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
I would get married as soon as you can and then submit a spousal sponsorship application as soon as you have returned to Canada.

You can try for another TRV or go the study permit route. But you don't know if either of those will be approved so best to get the sponsorship application underway as soon as you can. I would order GCMS notes so that you can see the detailed reasons behind the TRV refusal (do this before you reapply for a TRV or apply for a study permit).
yeah I've asked my lawyer to get the GCMS notes.
What's really strangling our relationship is the ridiculous travel ban right now, I have no idea what to do

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's what I'd like to do, but as current situation stands, I think its difficult to even leave Canada...
Once I'm back, I'd be hit with that ridiculous $2k "hotel" fee + Quarentine of another 2 weeks, meaning I won't be working for a whole month
You can easily fly out of Canada. You are right that you will need to go through the quarantine process when you return. I understand this is inconvenient for you but it's certainly not ridiculous.

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
You can easily fly out of Canada. You are right that you will need to go through the quarantine process when you return. I understand this is inconvenient for you but it's certainly not ridiculous.
Still being able to fly out is a small glimmer of hope, but having to pay $2k upon return is definitely a pain

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Still being able to fly out is a small glimmer of hope, but having to pay $2k upon return is definitely a pain
FYI - We've seen plenty of people here book for less than $2K.