+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Logical Stream for Inland / Outland Sponsorship - PR - OWP...

gbiggs

May 21, 2015
Hi, my comments will be submitted for brevity in list format. Also I find that it can be confusing to pick through other experiences ("this applies, this doesn't apply, but maybe this one does!? Am I going crazy-er? :eek:) )

-I'm about to marry my partner who resides in Vancouver BC as a Canadian citizen
-I'm an American citizen
-She will apply to sponsor me after our marriage

Things I understand (which could be mistaken):

-We officiate, license, register the marriage.
-She submits sponsorship,
-Upon approval I submit my permanent residency application, and open work permit (as per the pilot program)

Things which are unclear (to me):

-As a US citizen, do I need the medical exam, and can I receive one while in BC?

-Again, as a US Citizen, I don't need a Temporary Resident Visa to visit for up to 6 months...
However, do I need one to apply inland for sponsorship / PR / Open Work Permit, etc?

-Does the sponsorship, permanent residency, and open work permit get submitted together, or do I include the sponsorship approval with my permanent residency application?
(Possible Reference: CIC Apply to sponsor your spouse, partner or children)

-Do I need a TRV, if so, at what point?

My desire:

To go to Canada, marry, stay with my wife (please!!!). Complete all the paperwork, and volunteer my time, until I have an open work permit.

What avenue best supports this? I've read that outland sponsorship is approved faster, and can be done while I am inland. Is this a moot point with the pilot program?

Story:

I was certified in a trade (not two year degree), worked skilled labor (horticulture), and was about to be sponsored by my company via LMIA. I met and fell in love with my spouse around the same time my company said they would support my residency. On the last week of December, my company had not done any of the paperwork despite what I had been led to believe from the previous months. As a bonus, I didn't qualify for the hourly requirements of the other work visas.

I spent New Year's Eve on a train back to the US and have been working any job I could find, until I could recover the cost of everything + PR paperwork. I feel lucky to be able to fight to get back up to my spouse. We're going crazy, and I am trying to not miss a beat. Not enough $$ for a lawyer, so... hello everyone. :-[

Thank you for any guidance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Everyone needs a medical exam. You can have it done anywhere provided you use a designated medical practitioner.

No - you don't need a TRV. However keep in mind that you are only allowed to visit Canada until you have PR - so when you arrive here, make sure it looks like you're visiting and not moving or you could potentially have issues at the border.

The entire application needs to be submitted together.

You should really apply outland. No OWP is granted but the overall process is significantly faster.

gbiggs

May 21, 2015
Hi, thanks for the response. It's definitely a discussion for us - I believe it'd be more important that I was working up there. In that scenario... time would be less of a concern as we'd be productive and together.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
If you apply Inland, you'd wait 4+ months until you can work, then 2+ years until you get PR. If you apply Outland, you'd wait maybe 5 to 10 months until you have PR (and can work).

You could find the thread for US applicants applying Outland and ask them what a realistic timeline for getting PR now is. Times fluctuate, so people going through the process now can best tell you what to expect.