+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Logic behind closed work permit

zarge

Oct 25, 2019
Hi, I would like to know if you can help me to understand what is the idea behind closed work permit. Because I don't really understand it.

I have been living in Canada almost 2 years with a closed work permit that is employer specific. However I have been trying to change
my job by almost 2 years, and that is not a coincidence.

Basically, I don't like my job. I am not telling you that they put me in a basement to make shoes, but they do a lot of things that I don't like
(and to be honest, many of those I am not sure if are even legal).

I have had a lot of job offers, and I have done a lot of interview. Seems that there are many opportunities to people like me here in Canada, however
I haven't found yet a company willing to go through the process of getting a new work permit for me.

And that is really really stressful to me, because I feel that I don't have any options but stay in my current company (thankfully I started to see a psychologist
and I am getting better).

And as I can't change my job, I feel that my employer has a big advantage over me, and that is pretty bad if I need to negotiate anything, like my salary.
In fact, I just realized that they are paying me less than my coworker (and we do the same job).

I am thinking seriously about leaving Canada and going to Europe, I have a bunch of friend in Germany and they told me that there needs people like me too.

I would like to immigrate through Express Entry but I don't have enough points yet to be invited (and the system doesn't recognize me some work because I didn't last a year, or because it was part time).

So, I would like to see if you could clarify me the reason of existence for closed work permit. I guess Canada is trying to protect its labour market somehow, but at this point I feel so frustrated and disappointed that I am not sure.

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I would like to know if you can help me to understand what is the idea behind closed work permit. Because I don't really understand it.

I have been living in Canada almost 2 years with a closed work permit that is employer specific. However I have been trying to change
my job by almost 2 years, and that is not a coincidence.

Basically, I don't like my job. I am not telling you that they put me in a basement to make shoes, but they do a lot of things that I don't like
(and to be honest, many of those I am not sure if are even legal).

I have had a lot of job offers, and I have done a lot of interview. Seems that there are many opportunities to people like me here in Canada, however
I haven't found yet a company willing to go through the process of getting a new work permit for me.

And that is really really stressful to me, because I feel that I don't have any options but stay in my current company (thankfully I started to see a psychologist
and I am getting better).

And as I can't change my job, I feel that my employer has a big advantage over me, and that is pretty bad if I need to negotiate anything, like my salary.
In fact, I just realized that they are paying me less than my coworker (and we do the same job).

I am thinking seriously about leaving Canada and going to Europe, I have a bunch of friend in Germany and they told me that there needs people like me too.

I would like to immigrate through Express Entry but I don't have enough points yet to be invited (and the system doesn't recognize me some work because I didn't last a year, or because it was part time).

So, I would like to see if you could clarify me the reason of existence for closed work permit. I guess Canada is trying to protect its labour market somehow, but at this point I feel so frustrated and disappointed that I am not sure.

Thanks.
Your guess is correct. Restrictions on work permits, including issuing closed work permits, are there to protect the Canadian labour market.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I was working in Canada for almost 9 years under a closed work permit before I became PR. Fortunately I liked my job and employer so I stayed around and they helped me get my PR. But yes, the whole point of a closed work permit is to protect the job market for Canadians (PR and citizens) and the employer who did the leg work to get your permit.

zarge

Oct 25, 2019
Do you know what people usually do when they have a closed WP but they don't like their job ?

Or there is any job board with companies open to get a WP ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you know what people usually do when they have a closed WP but they don't like their job ?

Or there is any job board with companies open to get a WP ?
Your option is to stop working or to try and find another employer to go through the LMIA process and WP with no guarantees. Most employers are unwilling to go through the process. It is up to you to find one.

Reactions: zarge