+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO

Alex_S

Feb 4, 2010
Hi sttn0045

Your employer has to fill in this form to apply for an LMO see,

hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/forms/emp5239e.pdf

Under the section heading of "Details of Job Offer", in box 37, your employer has to enter the "Expected duration of employment". This up to your employer or for you to agree with employer beforehand.

In the guide for filling in the above form, see
cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/tfw-guide.asp#a7

it stipulates under the heading "Details of Job Offer", the following,

4. Expected duration of employment
Please indicate the expected length of time for which you intend to employ the foreign worker.
Note: If you have indicated “yes” in Box 34, then you may indicate two to three years in this box. However, we will NOT provide a labour market confirmation for permanent employment. We provide a temporary confirmation only, and it would be up to the foreign worker to apply for permanent resident status based on your letter of offer for permanent employment.

I had 3 work permits in the past and each time the duration applied for, 1 year, 4 months, and 1 year, a labour market opinion was granted, and CIC issued work permits with a matching duration. My guess is CIC follows Service Canada's lead with respect to Visa duration. Your biggest hurdle is getting a positive LMO from Service Canada. I suspect the longer the duration applied for the more scrupulous they might be in determining if you taking the job in question would deprive Canadian resident's of employment. I've never had an employer apply for any longer than 1 year but I know of people who applied for a 2 year duration LMO and got a 2 year Work Permit.

Whatever duration is applied for make sure the letter from your employer offering employment, and the employee-employer contract match.

That's all I've got! Good Luck!