+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA

FMK1985

May 2, 2021
Hi. Just completed my studies in Canada. Unfortunately my college is not eligible for the PGWP program. My husband is on an open work permit and both kids, 8 and 11, on visitor visas (allowing them to school). Our visas expire on 30th June 2021 and we came here in 2019 with me being the main applicant.
From my limited knowledge, I have two options I know of which is extension of my study permit after applying to a PGWP eligible college, and an LMIA. I already have a potential employer who is willing to give me this document and they are 3 weeks into the process already. Any suggestions? If those are my only options, which one is better. Study extension or LMIA ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi. Just completed my studies in Canada. Unfortunately my college is not eligible for the PGWP program. My husband is on an open work permit and both kids, 8 and 11, on visitor visas (allowing them to school). Our visas expire on 30th June 2021 and we came here in 2019 with me being the main applicant.
From my limited knowledge, I have two options I know of which is extension of my study permit after applying to a PGWP eligible college, and an LMIA. I already have a potential employer who is willing to give me this document and they are 3 weeks into the process already. Any suggestions? If those are my only options, which one is better. Study extension or LMIA ?
It's a hard call. It's not unusual for LMIAs to take 4-6 months to process and of course there's no guarantee of approval. If you go the LMIA route, you and your husband will most likely have to convert your status to visitor while you wait for the outcomes of the LMIA. I assume the LMIA is for a NOC A, B or 0 job?

FMK1985

May 2, 2021
Thank you for your prompt response and for the information. Yes it's a NOC B job. Early childhood Educator (ECE). So in case there is a delay, converting to a visitor visa wouldn't be an issue right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your prompt response and for the information. Yes it's a NOC B job. Early childhood Educator (ECE). So in case there is a delay, converting to a visitor visa wouldn't be an issue right?
Do you have experience and training as an ECE?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If your employer has applied for a LMIA, you will need to wait for a positive response and then apply for a closed work permit. Has your employer applied and proven that no Canadian or PR could be hired for the job. You probably will not get a LMIA and work permit by June so you and your spouse will need to stop working and change your status to visitor.

FMK1985

May 2, 2021
Hi Naturgrl. My employer had already started the advertisement process for LMIA around month ago. Meaning they had placed the advert for local/PR talent. They are apparently very experienced in this and have a lawyer ready as well. I have been told I will get my LMIA by 3rd week of May and can start my visa process by end May. That would make it around 7 - 8 weeks since they started the LMIA advert process.