+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA

milind852

Sep 6, 2018
Yes my occupation is LMIA exempt, i have been working in Rogers communication as tech support representative and my work permit is expiring in August 2020. One of my friend is working as gas station manager and his employer is ready to provide LMIA to me for Gas station manger role. He has pre approved LMIA from government and he has also posted an ad on job bank

immonger

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Yes my occupation is LMIA exempt, i have been working in Rogers communication as tech support representative and my work permit is expiring in August 2020. One of my friend is working as gas station manager and his employer is ready to provide LMIA to me for Gas station manger role. He has pre approved LMIA from government and he has also posted an ad on job bank
But are you qualified or have any experience that can be assessed against the job offer?

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
After working for them for 1-year, you will get separate points for Canadian Work Experience.

The 50 points are for the JOB-OFFER that is supported by an LMIA (unless for LMIA exempt jobs). Your job offer MUST indicate that the offer is valid on the date you file for PR and is going to be valid on the date you are approved as a PR(for at least 1-year).
So what happens if we are on Intra Company Transfer Closed Work Permit with a valid job offer which is LMIA exempt. Can we claim the 50 points right away or do we need to work for a minimum 1 year? Also what documents are required as proof ?

immonger

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
So what happens if we are on Intra Company Transfer Closed Work Permit with a valid job offer which is LMIA exempt. Can we claim the 50 points right away or do we need to work for a minimum 1 year? Also what documents are required as proof ?
You would only need the Job Offer letter specifically stating that you will be given a minimum 1-year of employment.

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
You would only need the Job Offer letter specifically stating that you will be given a minimum 1-year of employment.
I am not getting the 50 points for the valid job offer in my Express Entry profile though I am currently working in Canada on LMIA exempt work permit for 7 months now. Any idea why the points are not reflected?

immonger

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
I am not getting the 50 points for the valid job offer in my Express Entry profile though I am currently working in Canada on LMIA exempt work permit for 7 months now. Any idea why the points are not reflected?
You need to be working for the employer specified on your work permit for at least 1 year to be eligible for these 50 points.

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
You need to be working for the employer specified on your work permit for at least 1 year to be eligible for these 50 points.
Which means that even if I was working with the same employer in a different country for more than 1 year, what counts is that we need to be working in Canada on Work Permit for One full year in order to claim the 50 points as job offer ?

immonger

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Which means that even if I was working with the same employer in a different country for more than 1 year, what counts is that we need to be working in Canada on Work Permit for One full year in order to claim the 50 points as job offer ?
You need to work for at least 1 year for the employer specified on your WP. The same employer in a different country would be subjected to that country's work permits and authorizations. It has nothing to do with Canadian WPs. To get the 50 points, you need to be working for the employer in Canada on a valid Canadian WP.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
have 2 yeras work experience as technical support agent in call center, but if my LMIA issued based on Gas station manager job would it be valid? because according to one of immigration lawyer it needs to be from same occupation. Please assist
it’s YEARS, not yeras.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
What's an LMIA dual intent?
There are three types of LMIA.

1] to sponsor someone in Expree Entry.
It’s free of charge. Can not be used to get work permit.

2] to get a work permit for a foreign individual.
Costs the employer $1000 to apply.

3] dual intent is both of the above in one.
Same process. Costs the employer $1000 to apply.

in regards to lmia exempt jobs, employer must pay the employer compliance fee of (not the same as for LMIA). All information is online. Use the search function here and on Canada.ca