+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA supporting permanent residency expired

minghang

Mar 28, 2016
I am on PGWP and it expired on May 2018. I just received my LMIA positive today and it is expired in the next 6 months. My duration of employment is: indeterminate/permanent.
However, at that time i still have not had enough 1 year of working experience to apply under CEC.
It said on the paper that " please note that foreign worker must apply to CIC for a work permit or a permanent resident visa prior to this date. That worries me. At that time do i have to reapply for a new LMIA app or i am still good? If i dont, will i lost another 50 points ?
Thank you

abderhamoumi

Star Member
Oct 23, 2013
Well you have to apply for a work permit under the TFWP before the expiry date of the positive LMIA, so you could get the 50 points for the job offer.

minghang

Mar 28, 2016
my open work permit expire in May 2018. I will complete one year of canadian wk experience this september. Afterwards i will apply under CEC express entry. In that case am i still good ?

LemonInfy

Mar 28, 2018
I am on PGWP and it expired on May 2018. I just received my LMIA positive today and it is expired in the next 6 months. My duration of employment is: indeterminate/permanent.
However, at that time i still have not had enough 1 year of working experience to apply under CEC.
It said on the paper that " please note that foreign worker must apply to CIC for a work permit or a permanent resident visa prior to this date. That worries me. At that time do i have to reapply for a new LMIA app or i am still good? If i dont, will i lost another 50 points ?
Thank you
Hi Brother,

my friend too had a LMIA offer which says "please note that foreign worker must apply to CIC for a work permit or a permanent resident visa prior to this date". He got his work permit appoverd but he hasn't yet applied for PR. He created EE profile and it does ask for LMIA expiry date. He did not get those 50 points because of LMIA expiry date. Can you please throw some light?

Milky1996

Aug 23, 2018
Thank you
My situation is exactly like you: I have a PGWP, expiry on Aug 2020, currently have already worked for an employer for 3 months, and I am planning to get a LMIA to support my PR application. However, I don’t know if the LMIA expired 6 months from now, will it still fetch me 50 points in my EE or my employer will have to renew the LMIA?
My employer is willing to give me another job offer for at least 1 yr after I get my status.
Any help is appreciated.

Srini1983

Jan 14, 2019
Hi Brother,

my friend too had a LMIA offer which says "please note that foreign worker must apply to CIC for a work permit or a permanent resident visa prior to this date". He got his work permit appoverd but he hasn't yet applied for PR. He created EE profile and it does ask for LMIA expiry date. He did not get those 50 points because of LMIA expiry date. Can you please throw some light?

Hi, i am in same situation now, can you confirm whether you got 50 points even though LMIA got expired.

your help on this is much appreciated.

Thanks

khan5858

Mar 9, 2014
My situation is exactly like you: I have a PGWP, expiry on Aug 2020, currently have already worked for an employer for 3 months, and I am planning to get a LMIA to support my PR application. However, I don’t know if the LMIA expired 6 months from now, will it still fetch me 50 points in my EE or my employer will have to renew the LMIA?
My employer is willing to give me another job offer for at least 1 yr after I get my status.
Any help is appreciated.
Is it possible to reapply lmia if you receive positive lmia after it expires.