+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA not respecting the law

dennizgb

Star Member
Feb 23, 2014
Hi there,

I'm asking on behalf on my brother in law who is TFW and has valid work permit and LMIA. He is working in construction and the company or the guy he works for does not follow the laws and rules set by government.
I'm not anymore on work permit, but I remember when I was that employer had to follow government rules.
Issue is that the guy work 10-12 hours per day, saturdays, some sundays and holidays and he don't get paid for any of the overtime. According to his boss, he is saving that money(4-6h of overtime each day) and accumulating it for the winter when it gets slow, so for the days that he is not working. But from experience in last winter that is a complete bullshit cause when he don't work he don't get paid.
Second thing is that he as an employer should provide him health and dental benefits and he is not paying any of those. Neither the vacation days...actually vacation days are being taken away from the paycheck.
Getting day off is very hard because the owner of the company(who is boss and law I guess) gets upset with taking the day off and then he just decide that you don't have to show to work day after that either.

My brother in law is in fear of course because he has no option. He can quit and go back to his country or he can just suck it up until he get residence. Which can take 2 years since he apply through AINP.

Did anyone else heard for something like that and what can be done, without being fired/ laid off or quitting the job?

I have nothing with this but I'm getting so upset because owners of those construction companies are immigrants as well(mostly turkish, kurdish and lebanese) and they are not respecting this beautiful country neither the laws(he is paid wage that he was supposed to be paid at least). Previous employer he worked for terminated his employment few hours before work for no reason. Apparently no work, but he collected some proofs and now he is fighting with some TFW office to get reimbursment because he was unemployed for months until he found new employer which is this current piece of shit. I worked for bad canadian employers but all of them paid what was written in he contract and followed all the laws.
We are located in Alberta.
If anyone has an idea what to do please let us know...

EDIT:: I apologize for wrong thread name... I meant Employer is not following LMIA terms

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you.

Does anyone have experience how long it would take?
There's no minimum or maximum time. It's really on a case by case basis.