+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Mandatory for applying for PR

ShilpiGhosh

Aug 22, 2015
Hello,

My husband and I are both working in Ontario, Canada. He has a work permit (with LMIA) and I have an open WP (without LMIA).
We are planning to apply for PR (through CEC) once he completes his 1 year (in October).

As, I have a valid permanent job but without LMIA, can we still get points for our application.

Cheers,
Shilpi

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ShilpiGhosh said:
My husband and I are both working in Ontario, Canada. He has a work permit (with LMIA) and I have an open WP (without LMIA).
We are planning to apply for PR (through CEC) once he completes his 1 year (in October).

As, I have a valid permanent job but without LMIA, can we still get points for our application.
I'm confused by your question - not really sure what you're asking, but will try to answer -

1) If your husband has an LMIA-supported work permit, if his employer is willing write a letter offering him permanent employment contingent upon receiving permanent residence status, then if he is the principal applicant, your application will get the extra 600 points.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp

2) If you get the extra 600 points for your husband's valid job offer, then frankly you won't need to worry about points.

3) However, let's assume his employer doesn't want to offer him permanent employment, so you still need more points. Yes, as long as your work is authorized, your work experience will earn CRS points (as soon as you gain 1 year).

4) If your question is, can YOU be the principal applicant, then, yes you can (assuming you qualify), but you cannot qualify for the bonus 600 points for a valid job offer unless your employer applies for and receives an LMIA for you.