+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA, lose status when apply for EI?

askerkhofs

Oct 31, 2018
Hi guys,

I've got a quick question related to EI for LMIA certificate holders.

I got layd off from my job for maybe 1-2 months because of the Corona virus. I am eligible to apply for EI but will I lose my LMIA status? I've been told when you get laid off you will lose your LMIA certificate (closed work permit)? Which means I gotta go back to Europe...

Also, if I claim EI, does that have any effect on my future PR application? My friend told me that it looks really bad at your application.

Thank you all!!!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi guys,

I got layd off from my job for maybe 1-2 months because of the Corona virus. I am eligible to apply for EI but will I lose my LMIA status? I've been told when you get laid off you will lose your LMIA certificate (closed work permit)? Which means I gotta go back to Europe...

Also, if I claim EI, does that have any effect on my future PR application? My friend told me that it looks really bad at your application.

Thank you all!!!
First question , I don’t know . A senior member would be better to answer that
Second question : no effect . EI is not welfare , it’s a government mandated program to assist individuals who are made unemployed due to issues beyond their control aka covid19
Your friend is incorrect

Reactions: askerkhofs

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys,

Thank you all!!!
Applying for EI has nothing to do with your work permit validity or LMIA.

No more immigration advice from your friend. Being on EI isn't something that affects immigration.

Reactions: askerkhofs

dbhatia27

Apr 5, 2020
I might be repeating same question, but still need to ask and confirm.

Any idea what effect will layoff/reduced hours will have on work permit holders, if there PR application is in process. Will they lose 50 points claimed for work permit, even if they have their ITA and AOR in past.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I might be repeating same question, but still need to ask and confirm.

Any idea what effect will layoff/reduced hours will have on work permit holders, if there PR application is in process. Will they lose 50 points claimed for work permit, even if they have their ITA and AOR in past.
You should be updating CIC that you have been laid off and any other change of status. Technically you should lose the 50 points. There may be some exemptions if the employer plans to bring you back after covid,

dbhatia27

Apr 5, 2020
You should be updating CIC that you have been laid off and any other change of status. Technically you should lose the 50 points. There may be some exemptions if the employer plans to bring you back after covid,
Thanks for update. Will wait to see for further clarity.