+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA during pandemic

ciderlover

Oct 20, 2020
Hi all!

I'm trying to get a LMIA and extend my permit from the restaurant that I work for.
It is located in Toronto
But I heard it is very hard to be approved by government for LMIA lately. Is it true?

Also, is it true if I get rejected for a LMIA once, is it hard to get a study permit next time??
Because I was going to go to a school but then I realized that I will be eligible to apply for PR after working as a manager for a year.
However, I don't want to take a risk applying for LMIA, if I won't be able to get a study permit if I fail to get a LMIA.

Please let me know.
Thank you for your time

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You don’t apply for a LMIA. Your employer applies and shows that there is no Canadian to do the job. This takes months & if approved then you apply for a closed work permit. Processing that permit will take months too.
Has your employer started the process & shown they can’t hire anyone Canadian?

ciderlover

Oct 20, 2020
Yeah I meant I apply for a LMIA as going through the company that applies for a LMIA for me.
They've been applying and got LMIA for many people so I think that they've proven that they can't hire any Canadian.
I just asked if I can be a manager and am waiting for an answer from them.
Meanwhile, I heard that it is very hard for them to apply for a LMIA for anyone now, because the government doesn't give them approvals as easy as before.

Do you know about applying for a study permit, after getting rejected for a LMIA?
If you know, please let me know.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yeah I meant I apply for a LMIA as going through the company that applies for a LMIA for me.
They've been applying and got LMIA for many people so I think that they've proven that they can't hire any Canadian.
I just asked if I can be a manager and am waiting for an answer from them.
Meanwhile, I heard that it is very hard for them to apply for a LMIA for anyone now, because the government doesn't give them approvals as easy as before.

Do you know about applying for a study permit, after getting rejected for a LMIA?
If you know, please let me know.
What permit are you on now? Given that many people are out of work, yes, a LMIA may be more difficult to be approved. If they have been approved many times then it is possible. Study permit has nothing to do with a LMIA. But with a study permit, you need to show how your studies will help your career in your home country.

Last edited: