+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Closed Work Permit: Can I work remotely from another province?

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
I'm currently working for a Montreal-based company on a LMIA Closed work permit.
The work permit has this condition:
> 5. Not authorized to work in any location other than stated (Montreal)

Can I live in another city/province and work remotely?
I'll still work for the same company, for the same office in Montreal (it's their only office), but live somewhere else.
The company has employees who have been working remotely from all over Canada for years. They allow me to move anywhere as well (tax will still be filed in Quebec system).

I'd love to relocate to Toronto next year for my kid's education, and my wife's possiblity to find jobs (she doesn't speak French).
Can we all move or must I stay in Montreal physically (and only visit them on days when I don't work :()?
I work on my computer, so it's no difference if I sit in a Montreal room or a Toronto room.

incognito101

Feb 13, 2021
I have the same situation.

Work permit says:
Not authorized to work in any location other than stated

And at the same time it says:
Authorized to work at company, client and project across Canada

manu12345

Jan 20, 2021
guys i have same situation im on close work permit and my company is in calgery but they are moving to ontario they are willing to give me work their but i want to know that i have to update company address on my close work permit or have to apply new work permit plz guys if anyone know anything. thanku

eliziebasa

Mar 28, 2020
I'm currently working for a Montreal-based company on a LMIA Closed work permit.
The work permit has this condition:
> 5. Not authorized to work in any location other than stated (Montreal)

Can I live in another city/province and work remotely?
I'll still work for the same company, for the same office in Montreal (it's their only office), but live somewhere else.
The company has employees who have been working remotely from all over Canada for years. They allow me to move anywhere as well (tax will still be filed in Quebec system).

I'd love to relocate to Toronto next year for my kid's education, and my wife's possiblity to find jobs (she doesn't speak French).
Can we all move or must I stay in Montreal physically (and only visit them on days when I don't work :()?
I work on my computer, so it's no difference if I sit in a Montreal room or a Toronto room.
Hey!
Hope things went smoothly for you. My company is in Montreal and I live in Ontario. They are filing for LMIA without CAQ soon. Do you think it will be rejected because I dont reside in Quebec?

Sanjar718

Apr 4, 2019
Montreal
Category........
QSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-08-2021
Hey!
Hope things went smoothly for you. My company is in Montreal and I live in Ontario. They are filing for LMIA without CAQ soon. Do you think it will be rejected because I dont reside in Quebec?
I'm having similar issue. So, I live in quebec on closed work permit, but now i want to switch my job and found a company from Ontario. They filled out LMIA and send it out, and as my lawyer told me, service canada was not sure who should handle it, service canada quebec or ontario, and after a month of thinking they said that quebec is gonna handle it, and now they request to send additional documents to MIFI.

aruntoronto21

Oct 21, 2021
I'm having similar issue. So, I live in quebec on closed work permit, but now i want to switch my job and found a company from Ontario. They filled out LMIA and send it out, and as my lawyer told me, service canada was not sure who should handle it, service canada quebec or ontario, and after a month of thinking they said that quebec is gonna handle it, and now they request to send additional documents to MIFI.
I found below link which talks about the condition to move from one province to other.

My employment location is under additonal information, so I believe i can work from any location within Canada

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1414&top=15

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Reactions: canuck78

jan1992

Star Member
Dec 8, 2021
india
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-12-2021
I am facing similar situation. My job is in calgary but I live in Edmonton (2 hours away). My closed work permit has condition to work in calgary only.
I am planning to apply for spouse PR, how to take care of this condition? Will it come under rule voilation?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am facing similar situation. My job is in calgary but I live in Edmonton (2 hours away). My closed work permit has condition to work in calgary only.
I am planning to apply for spouse PR, how to take care of this condition? Will it come under rule voilation?
the ability to change location is only specified for co-op and pgwp. You are required to live in Calgary based on the conditions of your WP. If you were able to work remotely there would be no need for you to live in Canada. Your employer can also run into issues hiring other workers if they hired someone with a WP who didn’t remain in Calgary. They will struggle to show they need an employ in Canada and in Calgary in the future.

Last edited:

adina2u

Nov 25, 2023
I had the same issue, my employer is in Kitchener and I landed in Calgary on my way to Edmonton which is where I live in Canada. At the POE, the officer gave me Work Permit with Location in Kitchener and with the condition 'NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK NI ANY LOCATION OTHER THAN STATED'.

So I showed her my LMIA which specified that I could 'Work Remotely in Alberta' and asked if she could change the condition on the permit. She said that she could not change it wasn't within her power and the permit came like that to her. Then she mentioned that I am legally allowed to work remotely from anywhere but that I cannot work in any official Company's office building except the one in Kitchener.

The exact same thing applied to the 3 other colleagues that relocated with this company. None of them live in the city on their Work Permit.

thanhtam23

Nov 27, 2023
I had the same issue, my employer is in Kitchener and I landed in Calgary on my way to Edmonton which is where I live in Canada. At the POE, the officer gave me Work Permit with Location in Kitchener and with the condition 'NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK NI ANY LOCATION OTHER THAN STATED'.

So I showed her my LMIA which specified that I could 'Work Remotely in Alberta' and asked if she could change the condition on the permit. She said that she could not change it wasn't within her power and the permit came like that to her. Then she mentioned that I am legally allowed to work remotely from anywhere but that I cannot work in any official Company's office building except the one in Kitchener.

The exact same thing applied to the 3 other colleagues that relocated with this company. None of them live in the city on their Work Permit.
Hi there,
So all of you are legally allowed to live in another city? Will it cause any problem with public services and PR application later on?