+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA - CAREGIVER QUESTIONS - PLEASE HELP

mastersonicdog

Jan 1, 2014
For some reason, there is no instruction guide regarding the application for LMIA - caregiver for children.

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/foreign_workers/hire/caregiver/apply.page

I tried my best filling out all the forms, but still some issues stand out:

1. How long is the duration of the contract? On the ESDC website, it says 4 years is the maximum allowable work contract. Can this be applied for caregivers? The reason I ask is people that applied before me (and researching the internet for answers) state that the maximum is 2 years. I cannot find this "2 years for caregiver" anywhere. Can I put 4 years, then when said caregiver gets OWP, release her from employment even if the 4 years is not finished?

2. If I put 4 years - can the duration contract rationale be "This is the maximum allowable work duration contract"? If I put 2 years, what would be my rationale?

3. The new requirements for the LMIA regarding advertisements, mainly:
- Using 2 or more additional methods of recruitment consistent with the normal practice for the occupation.
- Targeting underrepresented groups

Does anyone have experience with these when it comes to LMIA - caregivers? Friends have applied using third party representatives state that they only did the first one - "on the Government of Canada’s Job Bank or its provincial/territorial counterpart in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and Quebec.". The LMIA's got approved without doing the other 2, and they say the other 2 does not apply as canadians/permanent residents/aboriginals/people with disabilities never apply for the live-in caregiver anyway. Can anyone give an opinion about this? I cannot find a definite answer anywhere, or on this forum. I am very afraid that we will get a negative LMIA because of this. I do not want to throw away 1000.

4. Once service canada looks at your application, and sees that it is not complete - does this mean that the 1,000 cad is gone already? The website says:

If an application is submitted and it is not complete, Service Canada staff will inform the employer that the application will not be processed. Incomplete applications and supporting documents submitted with the application will not be retained or returned to the employer. As a result, employers are advised to submit copies, not original documents.

OR, do they charge the 1,000 cad once all your documents are complete - and they assess the application? The reason I am asking is because of the advertisement requirement. I did not realize that there are 2 additional requirements now (the previous LMO I applied for required only that first one, and I misread the requirements - I thought choose from one of the three ::)). I can submit my application now because I have the first one, but should I wait and fulfill the other requirements? It would take another month, and I would rather pass the application now if it's not really needed for the position.

Sorry in advance for the wall of text. I really tried finding definite answers about this, and I know the forum can help me out. Thanks in advance :D.

sweetjuly

Jun 11, 2016
The best is you get an agent to process for you. There some part that a lawyer need to sign as well if you hire an agent then they can do that all to you. I did my LMIA twice already my agent help me.

mastersonicdog

Jan 1, 2014
sweetjuly said:
The best is you get an agent to process for you. There some part that a lawyer need to sign as well if you hire an agent then they can do that all to you. I did my LMIA twice already my agent help me.
The rates of processing LMIA in vancouver is around 2,000 to 3,000 cad - which I think is not worth it. I submitted a positive LMO around 2 years ago, so I have some experience completing the forms. However, I did not realize the LMIA is much harder to fill out and more vague; hence the questions.

AngelNoah

Dec 14, 2012
hi there,
may I please ask what happen to your application? I will apply lmia soon,.And have also same question #1.
Were you able to get positive lmia?

Ever

Star Member
Jun 11, 2015
Hi, just a quick question. Do we need to apply for business permit on the city (Like city of Edmonton) for nanny application?
TIA