+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA binds you to employer even once you've obtained permanent residency?

Tanatos14

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
Hi All,

My employer is in the process of applying for an LMIA for me. IF we get a positive LMIA the next step will be to apply for a work permit, which I assume will be for a year. Now let's say right after I get the LMIA I also start the application process for permanent residency through express entry under federal skilled worker or trade. If I get approved, even let's say after 6 months, am I somehow still bound to my LMIA-requesting employer or once obtained PR status I am free to search for other jobs with other employers?

Thanks in advance for your help, any feedback/direct experience would be appreciated and sorry if I have been somehow confusing anywhere in my explanation.

Cheers,

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
Tanatos14 said:
Hi All,

My employer is in the process of applying for an LMIA for me. IF we get a positive LMIA the next step will be to apply for a work permit, which I assume will be for a year. Now let's say right after I get the LMIA I also start the application process for permanent residency through express entry under federal skilled worker or trade. If I get approved, even let's say after 6 months, am I somehow still bound to my LMIA-requesting employer or once obtained PR status I am free to search for other jobs with other employers?

Thanks in advance for your help, any feedback/direct experience would be appreciated and sorry if I have been somehow confusing anywhere in my explanation.

Cheers,
Once you get a PR you're free to leave your employer. But to get additional 600 points you need an LMIA and permanent full-time job offer. One year job offer won't give you 600 points. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/offers.asp

PiyushAgrawal06121985

Oct 20, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
Nomination.....
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
14-03-2016
Med's Request
None
Med's Done....
20-02-2016
You can move to another employer once you have your PR. For moral reasons you may choose to stick with the employer for atleast a year :)

Tanatos14

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
Thanks guys, this was very helpful.
PiyushAgrawal06121985 said:
You can move to another employer once you have your PR. For moral reasons you may choose to stick with the employer for atleast a year :)
PiyushAgrawal06121985 trust me I have a strong moral and I would indeed stay for at least a year but my employer has been treating me like shit knowing that I can't really put my foot down or make demands since he could simply say "ok then there's the door" and I would have no way to get an LMIA, hence a work permit, and I would have to leave Canada...he basically owns me until I have PR.

Tanatos14

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
anarsoul said:
Once you get a PR you're free to leave your employer. But to get additional 600 points you need an LMIA and permanent full-time job offer. One year job offer won't give you 600 points. See [..]
Thanks for the reply Anarsoul...I went on the link you posted and I seem to understand a one year job offer would still count as a valid job offer if I fall within the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

PiyushAgrawal06121985

Oct 20, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
Nomination.....
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
14-03-2016
Med's Request
None
Med's Done....
20-02-2016
Tanatos14 said:
Thanks guys, this was very helpful.
PiyushAgrawal06121985 trust me I have a strong moral and I would indeed stay for at least a year but my employer has been treating me like *censored word* knowing that I can't really put my foot down or make demands since he could simply say "ok then there's the door" and I would have no way to get an LMIA, hence a work permit, and I would have to leave Canada...he basically owns me until I have PR.
Sorry to hear that. But once you have your PR you are free to choose any employer. The LMIA related to your work permit would not matter since you have the PR.

Try to see if your LMIA application was dual intent (work permit + PR) - it would give you 600 additional points.

Jsbjsb

Jan 19, 2019
Sorry to hear that. But once you have your PR you are free to choose any employer. The LMIA related to your work permit would not matter since you have the PR.

Try to see if your LMIA application was dual intent (work permit + PR) - it would give you 600 additional points.

Hi therei am working in canada on post graduate work permit.I dont need work permit.Ialready have 1 and half year of open work permit left .I am working as a food service supervisor . I i get lmia just to improve my crs score and i get approved for permanent residency with 50 points of lmia , can i change employer after my pr????? Will i get bound to this employer????

Reactions: Amy2013