+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA and work permit information

Poonam Sekha

Nov 15, 2018
Hi,

My relative is a visitor here, want to get the work permit. His employer submit the LMIA file last week for approval. My relative status in Canada will expire on December 30, 2018.

Question : How long it will take to process the LMIA application?
Question 2 : should he apply for extension or wait for LMIA approval?
Question 3 : should he go back in December and come back to canada after 2 months?
Question 4: Is it true that if you apply for extension then you cannot apply for work permit until your extension result is out?

We are so confused how to proceed, above areas. Please give your suggestion and experience.

sandhu5644

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi,

My relative is a visitor here, want to get the work permit. His employer submit the LMIA file last week for approval. My relative status in Canada will expire on December 30, 2018.

Question 3 : should he go back in December and come back to canada after 2 months?
Question 4: Is it true that if you apply for extension then you cannot apply for work permit until your extension result is out?

We are so confused how to proceed, above areas. Please give your suggestion and experience.
I have situation

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

LMIAs typically take 2-4 months to process.

It would be better if he returns to his home country and applies for the work permit from there once the LMIA is approved. Higher chance the work permit will be approved if he applies from his home country and can show proof of ties.