+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA and PR

krs

Star Member
May 8, 2014
I have been working on a contract full time job for 6 months. I then been internally hired as a permanent full time employee for the same employer and same job position. My employer provides LMIA, but I have a question regarding it that does the employer need to apply for LMIA before I get permanent job or after I get the job?

crama123

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
Hong Kong PCC
AOR Received.
31-May-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
09-Feb-2014
Med's Done....
05-Mar-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-May-2014
LANDED..........
20-July-2014
krs said:
I have been working on a contract full time job for 6 months. I then been internally hired as a permanent full time employee for the same employer and same job position. My employer provides LMIA, but I have a question regarding it that does the employer need to apply for LMIA before I get permanent job or after I get the job?
No (if you are already with the same employer on a work permit and if your work permit was obtained with an LMIA).

Refer to the following lines from the link provided below

get a positive LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), unless
the candidate is already working temporarily in Canada for an employer who supported their work permit application with an LMIA,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/offers.asp

krs

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Hi, I am presently on post graduate work permit. I have 1 year left on my open work permit.

~Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
krs said:
With your open work permit, you are entitled to change positions at any time. Regardless of the type of position (contract, permanent), the fact is that they are all "temporary" as long as you are on a temporary work permit.

Assuming the LMIA is only to support the PR application (the free LMIA) - then regardless of the job you do now or in the near future, your employer will have to provide you with a job offer letter for future full-time, permanent, non-seasonal employment if you are successful at obtaining permanent resident status.