+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA and next steps

igmuloves

Jun 14, 2017
I have accepted a job at a university as a professor. We are waiting for the LMIA, I am wondering what the next steps are and how long it will take? I am in the US waiting to make plans to move and unsure of how long I will be in limbo. Any help will be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's very hard to say. It can be anywhere from a couple of days to 4+ months. Processing times really vary.

igmuloves

Jun 14, 2017
It's very hard to say. It can be anywhere from a couple of days to 4+ months. Processing times really vary.
I guess I'm confused about what happens after the LMIA goes through. I apply for the work visa? and that takes more time?

Scryden

Jan 29, 2016
You will need the LMIA before you can submit your Closed Work Permit application. Because LMIA is used for closed permits, you are entitled to work only for that particular company. During your work permit application you have to provide details, such as application numbers, regarding the LMIA of your employer.

Processing times are posted on the CIC website but really do vary. My IEC - Young Professionals work permit was approved within 2 days after I submitted my application. I submitted on Thursday night and got my approval the next Monday morning.

igmuloves

Jun 14, 2017
Thanks so much for your information. It is helpful in the stressful time of waiting.

Have you known of a LMIA or work permit to be rejected for this type of job?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks so much for your information. It is helpful in the stressful time of waiting.

Have you known of a LMIA or work permit to be rejected for this type of job?
If you get an approved LMIA, there should be no reason for the work permit to be rejected. It's possible the LMIA could be rejected if for some reason they feel the university should have been able to find a Canadian to hire for this role.

Scryden

Jan 29, 2016
If you get an approved LMIA, there should be no reason for the work permit to be rejected. It's possible the LMIA could be rejected if for some reason they feel the university should have been able to find a Canadian to hire for this role.
Exactly that. The LMIA is an application to prove to CIC that there is no Canadian candidate available for the job and the University has been posting their vacancy for a longer period of time on different job boards, had interviews with candidates but didn't find them fitting for the job etc. Then and only then is an LMIA approved and are they able to offer you the job. So if the LMIA is approved it isn't likely your application will be rejected after that point.

daf450

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
I have accepted a job at a university as a professor. We are waiting for the LMIA, I am wondering what the next steps are and how long it will take? I am in the US waiting to make plans to move and unsure of how long I will be in limbo. Any help will be appreciated.
hi, i see this is an old post, but i am in the same situation and i would like to know if your LMIA was approved and how much did it take?
i see that for high wage salaries it is now taking 16 days. can you please let me know and how much did it take you the whole process?
for LMIA then for the work permit afterwards?
Thanks a lot!

Bliss15

Sep 19, 2021
hi, i see this is an old post, but i am in the same situation and i would like to know if your LMIA was approved and how much did it take?
i see that for high wage salaries it is now taking 16 days. can you please let me know and how much did it take you the whole process?
for LMIA then for the work permit afterwards?
Thanks a lot!
Hi. Can you please share updates regarding your case. I am also waiting for LMIA. Thank you.