+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA and NAFTA

Pugjulius

Feb 7, 2020
Hi, I am an American citizen who is in the Express Entry pool currently living in the US. With a score of 435, I know I'm a long shot so am looking to get a job offer to boost my score. I read that jobs under NAFTA are LMIA exempt. Does that mean that if I have a job offer that would allow me to go to Canada as a NAFTA worker I can get the points without having to have the potential employer go through the LMIA process? Thanks got any clarification! If it matters, I am under the federal skilled worker and CEC class.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am an American citizen who is in the Express Entry pool currently living in the US. With a score of 435, I know I'm a long shot so am looking to get a job offer to boost my score. I read that jobs under NAFTA are LMIA exempt. Does that mean that if I have a job offer that would allow me to go to Canada as a NAFTA worker I can get the points without having to have the potential employer go through the LMIA process? Thanks got any clarification! If it matters, I am under the federal skilled worker and CEC class.
Does your job/profession part of NAFTA or new agreement? Many professions don’t qualify so that would be the first step.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The short answeris yes - but not immediately. If you receive a job offer under NAFTA, then you can come to Canada and work under a work permit. However you won't qualify for the 50 job offer points until you have worked in Canada for a full year under that employer. You don't get the 50 points right away.

Pugjulius

Feb 7, 2020
The short answeris yes - but not immediately. If you receive a job offer under NAFTA, then you can come to Canada and work under a work permit. However you won't qualify for the 50 job offer points until you have worked in Canada for a full year under that employer. You don't get the 50 points right away.
Bummer. But thanks for clarifying for me. So in order to get the 50 points without having worked in the job yet, you have to have an offer with a LMIA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Bummer. But thanks for clarifying for me. So in order to get the 50 points without having worked in the job yet, you have to have an offer with a LMIA?
Yes