+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living with Girlfriend - Will that be an issue with Immigration Officials??

Kuz

Jan 23, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a one year work permit obtained through experience Canada program.

I'm moving there next Thursday. When I land, I'll be living with my Canadian girlfriend in Sarnia.

If I tell immigration officials when i land next week that I'll be living in Sarnia with her - will that be an issue? Will they think that ultimately I'll be looking to get permanent residency by applying as a common law partner with her? (if you live with someone for one year in Canada, you can apply for common law partnership).

Will they get suspicisous that my ultimate reason for taking the Experience Canada program is so that me and her can apply for common law partner status when the year is up so that i ultiamtely get residency.

Will this be an issue?

Should I find a different address instead? Or not tell them about my relationship with her,, just in case?

I'd appreciate opinions on this.

Thanks in advance! :)

K

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When dealing with immigration officials - it's best to only provide information when asked.

State her address as the place you'll be living. No need to mention that this is your girlfriend's address. It's just where you've made arrangements to live while in Canada on your working holiday visa.

Even if you mention the girlfriend, you shouldn't have any issues since you're entering on the working holiday visa. But again, as a general rule - just answer the questions you're asked. Don't elaborate.

chandika38

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
N/A
You're right scylla,
make it short and sweet.Dont give them so much Information.
The more you talk the more you get in trouble.