+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***Living in Toronto***

Didona84

Star Member
Nov 3, 2015
Nice post, but a few things seem out of date. Namely, rents are much higher than stated here. If you are renting a room only, in the city of Toronto you will pay at least $800-1200 CAD. One-bedrooms are starting from $1600 in the older apartment buildings (I'm talking about professionally managed buildings, but still very basic and small units). Two-bedrooms are almost impossible to find under $2000.
OK, you may be able to find a basement for cheaper, but not much cheaper. Also, not everyone wants the potential trouble coming from dealing with a private landlord.
Even in Mississauga, it is hard to find an apartment for less than $1400, and definitely not in modern condo buildings for that much. Check Kijiji or Craigslist to see for yourselves.
A 3-bedroom townhouse inside the city limits would start at around $2500 and up.

Nobody answered the question about recreation. In the city of Toronto there are many community centres where the use of facilities is very cheap (gym is 75 for 3 months) or free (leisure swimming at a pool e.g.). There are also really affordable registered programs that happen seasonally for which you can get Welcome Policy funding to use for your whole family if you are low-income.

Another thing, we are a family of 3 with a toddler and spend around $500 on food monthly. We don't eat prime steaks and lobster, but a normal healthy diet with all cooked meals. Fruit and vegetables are quite expensive, if you buy higher quality stuff. We shop at No Frills and occasionally at farmer's market, bakery and some ethnic shops (no Whole Foods and the like).

Reactions: Onpoint

kanu

Feb 26, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
What does low income family means? As a newcomer you may not have any job for sometime. So are you considered as a low income family? Where can i get more details on this as i read somewhere that someone was getting good benefits like tax cuts after showing themselves as low income.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What does low income family means? As a newcomer you may not have any job for sometime. So are you considered as a low income family? Where can i get more details on this as i read somewhere that someone was getting good benefits like tax cuts after showing themselves as low income.
A low income family is basically living on the poverty line. If you qualified to come to Canada you had enough savings and likely made enough income the previous year so that you wouldn't be considered a low income family. Yes you may qualify for a lower tax bracket, etc but it is quite a difficult life. I would encourage you to try and work hard and find a job if you are able to work and have an education. Even with the tax benefits life will be pretty difficult.

Reactions: kanu

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A low income family is basically living on the poverty line. If you qualified to come to Canada you had enough savings and likely made enough income the previous year so that you wouldn't be considered a low income family. Yes you may qualify for a lower tax bracket, etc but it is quite a difficult life. I would encourage you to try and work hard and find a job if you are able to work and have an education. Even with the tax benefits life will be pretty difficult.
This is not always the case. I heard some low income families lives in huge mansions in expensive residential neighborhoods. They probably made/report little income but have huge savings at home or at the bank but earn zero income. They don't live in poverty. They drive expensive sports car...

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Whats considered as average income or high income bracket in Ontario ? I mean for a single person, do you consider $100,000 CAD per year before tax is an average income or on higher bracket ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The poster was asking whether they will be considered low in come if it takes them a while to find a job. Even if it takes a while to find a job he will likely not be considered low income. Was pointing out that the benefits you may receive as a low income individual is not something someone should strive for. It isn't a good life. All about context.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Whats considered as average income or high income bracket in Ontario ? I mean for a single person, do you consider $100,000 CAD per year before tax is an average income or on higher bracket ?
Depends on your lifestyle and expectations. For me - that's OK but not great. You can certain rent a nice place - but you'll struggle to buy anything beyond a small/medium condo.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
This is not always the case. I heard some low income families lives in huge mansions in expensive residential neighborhoods. They probably made/report little income but have huge savings at home or at the bank but earn zero income. They don't live in poverty. They drive expensive sports car...
Yeah I've also heard they eat caviar for breakfast, lunch AND dinner, they fly to Vegas on the weekend to party and employ a whole troop of housekeepers. Oh and their horses eat caviar, too. Have I mentioned they have horses?

Reactions: Jakev and Onpoint

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Depends on your lifestyle and expectations. For me - that's OK but not great. You can certain rent a nice place - but you'll struggle to buy anything beyond a small/medium condo.
With all due respect to your own standards, $100K a year for an individual is high.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil105a-eng.htm

The median income of an individual in Canada is 33K and only around 2.2 million Canadian residents of 26 Million who are working age make more than 100K.

Reactions: macwhitby

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My comments weren't related to the median income - but the cost of living in Toronto (Vancouver and other such cities would be similar). Poster asked about Ontario so there's a statistically good chance he's heading to Toronto.

I have been mentoring business immigrants for years and one of the greatest shocks (and it's getting worse each year) is what it takes to live in Toronto. Most don't have a realistic view of what a salary will buy here when they arrive and there's an adjustment period to figure it all out. They see something like a $100K salary (or $100K household income) and think it's going to afford them to buy a four bedroom house and a new car - as well as go on trips and out to restaurants regularly.

$100K is a high salary from a median income perspective. What it buys you in Toronto is another matter and I prefer to give people a reality check before they get here.

Reactions: Jakev

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
My comments weren't related to the median income - but the cost of living in Toronto (Vancouver and other such cities would be similar). Poster asked about Ontario so there's a statistically good chance he's heading to Toronto.

I have been mentoring business immigrants for years and one of the greatest shocks (and it's getting worse each year) is what it takes to live in Toronto. Most don't have a realistic view of what a salary will buy here when they arrive and there's an adjustment period to figure it all out. They see something like a $100K salary (or $100K household income) and think it's going to afford them to buy a four bedroom house and a new car - as well as go on trips and out to restaurants regularly.

$100K is a high salary from a median income perspective. What it buys you in Toronto is another matter and I prefer to give people a reality check before they get here.
You are just thinking about poster's intention, lol !! I just wanted to know what people refers to as high, average and low income. Its almost 3 years in Canada and still cannot figure that out.