***Living in Toronto***

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
My comments weren't related to the median income - but the cost of living in Toronto (Vancouver and other such cities would be similar). Poster asked about Ontario so there's a statistically good chance he's heading to Toronto.

I have been mentoring business immigrants for years and one of the greatest shocks (and it's getting worse each year) is what it takes to live in Toronto. Most don't have a realistic view of what a salary will buy here when they arrive and there's an adjustment period to figure it all out. They see something like a $100K salary (or $100K household income) and think it's going to afford them to buy a four bedroom house and a new car - as well as go on trips and out to restaurants regularly.

$100K is a high salary from a median income perspective. What it buys you in Toronto is another matter and I prefer to give people a reality check before they get here.
I get what you mean.

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
Cost of Living:
A good site to know avout cost-of-living in different cities of of the world: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Toronto
Most prices listed below are monthly-based unless otherwise specified.

Accommodation
1-bed apartment: $900 - $1150 (low to avg scale, outside city centre)
1-bed apartment: $1100 - $1500 (avg to upscale, outside city centre)
1-bed apartment: $1600 - $2500 (upscale, near city centre)
2-bed apartment: $1000 - $1300 (low to avg scale, outside city centre)
2-bed apartment: $1200 - $1800 (avg to upscale, outside city centre)
2-bed apartment: $1800 - $3000 (upscale, near city centre)
- If parking is not included, then it’s $25 - $75
- If Hydro (electricity) is not included, then it’s $60 - $120
Basement: $800 - $1300 (depends on size, condition and location)
Entire house: $1700 - $2400 (low to avg scale, outside city centre)
- If Hydro (electricity) is not included, then it’s $200 - $300 for entire house

Apartment rent (online tools): kijiji, craigslist, gottarent, viewit, torontorentals etc.

- If you’re interested in subsidized housing, you will have to meet certain criteria and apply here (there is a waiting list): https://www.housingconnections.ca.
- For the current housing listing in Toronto, visit: https://www.housingconnections.ca/Zones/allZones.asp.
The average waiting time can vary from 4 to 8 years to get a subsidized housing/apartment in GTA depending on availability, location, income, family size etc.

Crime map may help you choose a safer place to settle in. Here are some online links:
http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/features/crimemap/
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/stats.php

Food
Per month basis,
For each person, it’s $100 - $150
A family of 2 adults: $200 - $250
A family of 4 (2 adults + 2 kids): $300 - $500
Lunch (meal) at a regular restaurant/chain store/fast food: $10 - $15 /person
Dinner (meal) at a regular restaurant/chain store: $12 - $25 /person
Full plate biriyani at a desi restaurant: $10 /person (mostly available in Toronto or Montreal)

Desi Grocery
- Halal whole chicken (skin off, cut into pieces): $8 -$10 ($3/lb)
- Ilish Mach: $15-$20 (small), $30 (medium), $50 (large)
- Rui Mach: $30 (small-medium), $40-$60 (medium-large)
- Frozen packet/block of small (gura) fish: $3 -$6
- Frozen packet/block of large fish: $8 -$12
- Frozen paratha (family pack of 20): $5 - $7

Have a glance at different halal meat price (price may vary up to +/- 20%): http://www.bombaygrocers.ca/meat_specials.html
Regular grocery (reasonable price): No Frills, Food Basics, Price Chopper
Regular grocery (bit higher price): Superstore, Loblaws, Metro, Sobeys, Longo’s, Foodland
Bangladeshi grocery: Sarkar, Marhaba, Madina, Tajmahal etc. (located mostly on Danforth Ave in East York and Parliament St. in downtown area)

- Find any halal restaurant/market/school/mosque here: https://www.zabihah.com/reg/gTYd5R8dxQ

=======================================================================================================

Hi Rossei,

What a wonderful post !! could you please share living cost in 2018 ?

Appreciate your support.

Regards
Q.

Canbainaus Mithu

Aug 12, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2017
Nomination.....
Soumitra Bain
AOR Received.
27-03-2018
Med's Done....
11-04-2018
Passport Req..
02-05-2018
LANDED..........
ON
it's great post for a newcomer. thanks a lot for your effort. Is there any other post or can you write a post like this for finding job in Toronto, Canada.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Medical insurance is not mandatory but as cauck78 said, it's good to have private insurance for the first 3 months if you're coming/settling in Ontario. Most residents of Ontario (Work permit holders, PR or Citizen) get OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Program) after 3 months of their respective status come into effect. OHIP covers most basic needs and emergency services except the following:

What OHIP doesn't Cover
  • Prescription drugs for individuals under the age of 65 (although medication while hospitalized is covered)
  • Smoking cessation drugs
  • Most alternative medicine consultations and treatments (i.e. homeopathy, acupuncture etc.)
  • Physiotherapy treatments for people 20 to 64 years of age
  • Circumcision
  • Dental care (unless you are on social assistance)
  • Chiropractic services
  • Items such casts, crutches and splints
  • Routine eye care for persons aged 20 to 64 years
  • Immunizations for travel
  • Missed appointment fees
  • Various treatments, such as cosmetic procedures, cryotherapy for warts and more
  • Medical forms and notes
  • Tensor bandages, splints and other medical supplies
Now it's commonly feared that prescription drugs, eye and dental care are NOT covered by OHIP. However, most emergency medical service for a disease of Eye/Dental that needs hospitalization/surgery will be covered by OHIP. You may qualify for Trillium Drug Program (TDP) which covers some prescription drugs. FYI, over-the-counter medicines (i.e. painkillers, vitamins, supplements etc.) are not generally covered by anyone. From 2018, Ontario is introducing OHIP+ plan for all kids under 24 years which will cover most prescribed drugs.

Relevant Links re: OHIP
OHIP Publications (what is covered)
TDP Eligibility
OHIP+ for Children & Youth under 24
Online quote for different medical insurance providers

Visitor Insurance
Visitor insurance (first 3 months before OHIP kicks in) premium highly depends on the deductible you choose. It also depends on person's age and pre-exisiting conditions. Generally, it costs as low as $3 - $4 per day per person. Here is an example I got using the above link:
PremiumDeductible
$81.32$5000
$93.83$2500
$100.08$1000
$106.34$500
$125.10$75
$131.36$0
Manulife coverage of $100,000 for 30 days for any age person with stable pre-existing conditions
So prescribition medicine and dental services are not covered by ohip?how much does it cost on average for a private insurance that covers dental treatment?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So prescribition medicine and dental services are not covered by ohip?how much does it cost on average for a private insurance that covers dental treatment?
Google something like blu cross. If you are lucky you may be able to pay for a plan through an employer which is the only way you don't end up paying a substantial amount for dental and Rx even with co-pay. Glasses and contact lenses and eye exam (adults) also not covered.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Google something like blu cross. If you are lucky you may be able to pay for a plan through an employer which is the only way you don't end up paying a substantial amount for dental and Rx even with co-pay. Glasses and contact lenses and eye exam (adults) also not covered.
K thanks what are the options for temporary insurance plan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not really temporary plans many self-employed people buy them. google. there may be a website that compares the bigs ones. there are multiple plans available within each category. Many don't purchase because you still pay a large percentage out of pocket plus the monthly fee.

AKMSharif

Nov 27, 2014
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2014
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Hi.. I am planning to move to Toronto Jan 2019... I have a special child who needs special services like speech, occupational therapy and needs to be admitted to an integrated school offering these services. Can anyone help me with links to some good schools in Toronto and idea about which neighborhood would be more appropriate considering the location near to the school/s... Thanks in advance.

Reactions: tmny_01

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi.. I am planning to move to Toronto Jan 2019... I have a special child who needs special services like speech, occupational therapy and needs to be admitted to an integrated school offering these services. Can anyone help me with links to some good schools in Toronto and idea about which neighborhood would be more appropriate considering the location near to the school/s... Thanks in advance.
When did you land in Canada? Seems like you may not have met you RO. Also looks like you had another child abroad. Your child needs to be assessed in Canada and then your child will be admitted to the appropriate school.

AKMSharif

Nov 27, 2014
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2014
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
When did you land in Canada? Seems like you may not have met you RO. Also looks like you had another child abroad. Your child needs to be assessed in Canada and then your child will be admitted to the appropriate school.
Hi Canuck78: I plan to land end of Jan 2019. what do you mean by RO? I have 2 sons, the elder one needs special services. I know they need to be assessed; but, isn't that I got to choose which locality I should select first before going to a school? how does it work, please enlighten me...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck78: I plan to land end of Jan 2019. what do you mean by RO? I have 2 sons, the elder one needs special services. I know they need to be assessed; but, isn't that I got to choose which locality I should select first before going to a school? how does it work, please enlighten me...
RO is residency obligation. Have you met the 2 out of 5 year in Canada obligation. Without determining what your child's needs are nobody can tell you what school he will need to attend. Many special needs children will need to to take a bus. Does your child have PR? With such special needs he would not have been approved under the previous guidelines.

Aktars

Feb 14, 2017
New BD immigrant here and wondering if anyone can share the contact of car insurance companies providing insurance at $250-$350/month as posted by original thread post. Currently, I am being asked to pay $450 despite owning car back home! :(

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
New BD immigrant here and wondering if anyone can share the contact of car insurance companies providing insurance at $250-$350/month as posted by original thread post. Currently, I am being asked to pay $450 despite owning car back home! :(
Car insurance depends on the area you live (some areas in GTA, assuming you are in GTA have notorious insurance rates), the type and model of car (Honda Civic for example has a higher rate than Ford sedans), how long you had insurance in Canada, how long you have been driving in Canada etc.
When I landed 4 years ago my insurance was 400$ per month for the first year (wife was on G2, had a Civic in Scarborough), but it went down to 300 in one year and kept going down as I had no claims and I relocated to the suburbs.