+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LIVING IN CANADA & WORK IN USA INQUIRY

san_river

Star Member
Mar 7, 2009
HELLO DEARS;

I am moving to Canada to settle for good as permanent Resident with husband and kids.

There are chances I might get job in Detroit USA ,

Can I stay in Windsor Canada and go to work in Detroit USA as the travel time is just 20 minutes?

Is this allowed for permanent residents?

IF we have a job in Detroit USA or in Buffalo USA near Niagara both are in Canada USA border

How can a permanent resident go to hese places? is the visa required fo USA consulate?

Is it consider that we lived in Canada?

KINDLY YOUR ANSWER IN DETAILS IS REQUIRED .... :)

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If you establish residence in Canada you live in Canada regardless of where you work. If you commute to the US and return the same day, its considered a day trip so it will not count against you in the calculation of permanent residence/citizenship eligibility. Any over night stays are considered days out of Canada. You would probably have to file an income tax return in both countries with all the attendant complications. You need some type of US immigration status to work in the USA, I can't help there.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
What other you questions do you have? Short answer, yes you can do it. It won't affect your residency status in Canada. If you are only making day trips to the U.S., it won't hurt you in maintaining your Canadian Permanent Residency or in qualifying for citizenship. Your tax returns will probably be more complicated to file. You will have to go through border inspections twice a day with all the attendant hassles/difficulties that poses. You also can't work in the U.S. without some kind of immigration status there. If you are a U.S. citizen: not an issue. If you aren't: I don't know what type of status you would require. Living in Canada may affect whatever U.S. immigration status you have that allows you to work there. You would have to ask people in the know about U.S. immigration policies. Also, expectations are that the Loonie will continue to rise against the greenback. One analyst I heard yesterday expects it to go as high as $1.25 U.S., meaning you might take a short hair cut on the value of your pay in Canada, if you are paid in U.S. dollars.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need permission from the U.S. government to work in the United States.

If you do not have citizenship in a Visa Waiver Program country, you will need a visa to enter the United States.

And there's no real way to predict future exchange rates.